Rafael Nadal Crowned as Most Popular Personality in Spain
By Lou Imperial | July 23, 2014 11:51 PM EST
Rafael Nadal remains the most popular and admired Spanish personality for the fourth consecutive time, besting Chicago Bulls power forward Pau Gasol and actor-director Paco Leon for the plum.
Rafael Nadal of Spain hits a return during his men's singles tennis match against Nick Kyrgios of Australia at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London July 1, 2014.
Nadal, who captured a record-setting ninth French Open crown earlier this year to add his Grand Slam tally to 14 Grand Slams, regained the title as Spain's most revered personality by garnering the largest votes in a survey conducted by Personality Media.
"Rafael Nadal is the best known and best rated Spanish for the fourth time since 2010, according to a survey of 40,000 consumers Media Personality that analyzes, commercial, advertising picture preferences and consumption of the population," El Mundo stated in its report.
"Nadal still the most valued with a score of 8.1, distancing midpoint over the second-placed athlete also recently signed by Chicago Bulls, Pau Gasol (7.5)."
Actor and director Paco León, who has the highest approval vote from women's category, landed in third place, while Barcelona football stars Andres Iniesta, Spain's national coach Vicente Del Bosque and Carles Puyol also made it in the top-10.
"Also included in the top ten are footballer Andrés Iniesta and national coach Vicente del Bosque. The FC Barcelona player is fifth, while Del Bosque appears in the sixth. Both characters, related to the world of football, reduce their scores due to failure in the World Championships in Brazil," the publication stated.
But biggest casualty is no other than Real Madrid goal keeper Iker Casillas, who did not make it in the list for the first time since 2008.
Many believed his non-inclusion from the prestigious circle stemmed from his lackluster performance at the 2014 World Cup, where he conceded five goals to Netherlands and two more against Chile, sending Spain crashing out as early as the group stages.
Being hailed as Spain's most popular personality was just one of his several awards he received as of late. Last week, Nadal was awarded the best male tennis player after a sensational 2013 season, which saw him winning 10 tournaments - including the French and US Open championship.
Heading into the US hard-court season, Nadal remains one of the favorites to conquer Flushing Meadows despite his hiccups at the Wimbledon Open. The 28-year old Nadal will attempt to win his second US Open title and the first since 2010.
For more Rafael Nadal news, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Final: USA Vs. Serbia Live Streaming Info, Key Players And Preview
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- NFL Week 2: Kansas City Chiefs Vs. Denver Broncos Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Believes Wilshere's Performance Against City Not Enough For Man Utd Legend Paul Scholes
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date