Rafael Nadal Crowned as Most Popular Personality in Spain
By Lou Imperial | July 23, 2014 11:51 PM EST
Rafael Nadal remains the most popular and admired Spanish personality for the fourth consecutive time, besting Chicago Bulls power forward Pau Gasol and actor-director Paco Leon for the plum.
Rafael Nadal of Spain hits a return during his men's singles tennis match against Nick Kyrgios of Australia at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London July 1, 2014.
Nadal, who captured a record-setting ninth French Open crown earlier this year to add his Grand Slam tally to 14 Grand Slams, regained the title as Spain's most revered personality by garnering the largest votes in a survey conducted by Personality Media.
"Rafael Nadal is the best known and best rated Spanish for the fourth time since 2010, according to a survey of 40,000 consumers Media Personality that analyzes, commercial, advertising picture preferences and consumption of the population," El Mundo stated in its report.
"Nadal still the most valued with a score of 8.1, distancing midpoint over the second-placed athlete also recently signed by Chicago Bulls, Pau Gasol (7.5)."
Actor and director Paco León, who has the highest approval vote from women's category, landed in third place, while Barcelona football stars Andres Iniesta, Spain's national coach Vicente Del Bosque and Carles Puyol also made it in the top-10.
"Also included in the top ten are footballer Andrés Iniesta and national coach Vicente del Bosque. The FC Barcelona player is fifth, while Del Bosque appears in the sixth. Both characters, related to the world of football, reduce their scores due to failure in the World Championships in Brazil," the publication stated.
But biggest casualty is no other than Real Madrid goal keeper Iker Casillas, who did not make it in the list for the first time since 2008.
Many believed his non-inclusion from the prestigious circle stemmed from his lackluster performance at the 2014 World Cup, where he conceded five goals to Netherlands and two more against Chile, sending Spain crashing out as early as the group stages.
Being hailed as Spain's most popular personality was just one of his several awards he received as of late. Last week, Nadal was awarded the best male tennis player after a sensational 2013 season, which saw him winning 10 tournaments - including the French and US Open championship.
Heading into the US hard-court season, Nadal remains one of the favorites to conquer Flushing Meadows despite his hiccups at the Wimbledon Open. The 28-year old Nadal will attempt to win his second US Open title and the first since 2010.
For more Rafael Nadal news, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant Attributes Past Outburst Against Dwight Howard To 'Heat Of The Moment,' Doesn't Feel The Same Way As Durant Does
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics