Arsenal FC Transfer News: Gunners Lose Interest in Snapping Up Real Madrid Midfielder
By Mark Wayne Eubank | July 23, 2014 8:54 PM EST
Arsenal are reportedly no longer interested in bringing in Real Madrid holding midfielder Sami Khedira, claims a respected journalist.
Arsenal have reportedly given up in signing Real Madrid midfielder Sami Khedira
BBC correspondent David Ornstein tweeted on his official account of the said development, but reiterated that the Gunners are still in search for a player occupying the same position.
"Arsenal no longer pursuing Khedira but still in market for DMF, will sign GK & probably DF depending on Jenkinson/Vermaelen situations #AFC," the tweet read.
Arsenal no longer pursuing Khedira but still in market for DMF, will sign GK & probably DF depending on Jenkinson/Vermaelen situations #AFC
— David Ornstein (@bbcsport_david) July 21, 2014
Sources suggest that the 27-year-old's enormous salary demand, which ranged from £150,000 to £200,000 per week, was the main reason for the deal to fall through.
The former VFB Stuttgart man's market value reached an all-time high - £31million - after returning in time, coming from a knee injury sustained in November, to help the Los Blancos win the Champions League, as well as the World Cup for Germany.
Meanwhile, Southampton's Morgan Schneiderlin and Bayer Leverkusen's Lars Bender are some of the names that have surfaced as Arsene Wenger's next possible targets in lieu of Khedira.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Hailed Swiss Sportsman Of The Year, Beating Stan Wawrinka
- Floyd Mayweather Jr On Manny Pacquiao: 'He Must Know He's Not Going To Win
- Hoax Alert: Floyd Mayweather Didn’t Die Of Drug Overdose
- NFL News: Chicago Bears Likely To Fire Head Coach Marc Trestman At End Of NFL Season
- NBA Trade Discussions ‘Tremendous’; 10 Teams Including Rockets, Clippers and Hornets Active For Probable Deals—NBA Insider