Australian Michael Rogers Wins Stage 16 of Tour de France 2014
By Justin Noel Cudaihl | July 23, 2014 2:56 PM EST
Michael Rogers of Australia won the 16th stage of the Tour de France 2014 ending up first in the 237.5-kilometer round from Carcassone to Bagneres-de-Luchon. Rogers, who rides for team Tinkoff-Saxo, sprinted to the finish line nine seconds ahead of second-placer Thomas Voeckler (France), Vasil Kiryienka (Belarus) Jose Serpa (Colombia) and Cyril Autier (France)
The pack of riders cycles on its way during the 237.5km 16th stage of the Tour de France cycling race between Carcassonne and Bagneres-de-Luchon, July 22, 2014.
"I'm certainly riding smarter at this point of my career,” said the Australian in a report from abc.net.au. “I realised I have to be in it to win it. In the past, I was scared before it arrived. Now I tell myself: 'If you try your best, the worst thing that can happen is to lose a bike race.’ My new state of mind opens doors to many opportunities.”
The stage victory is the first for Rogers in the any Tour de France and an extra special one as it came in the longest route (237.5 km) of the tour this year. The two other routes nearly as long were in Stage 7 (234.5 km from Epernay to Nancy) and Stage 15 (222 km from Tallard to Nimes).
The 34-year-old Rogers’ previous notable finishes were in the 2006 Tour de France where he finished ninth overall and the 2009 Giro d'Italia where he made it to sixth place.
Italian Vincenzo Nibali of Astana Pro Team still wears the yellow jersey with a 4'37" lead over Alejandro Valverde Belmonte (Spain) of Movistar Team. Three Frenchmen occupy the next three spots Thiabaut Pinot (FDJ.FR), Jean-Christophe Peraud (AG2R La Mondiale) and Romain Bardet (AG2R La Mondiale) currently in third to fifth places, respectively.
The Tour de France 2014 started last July 5 and will end on July 27 and is made up of 21 stages covering a total distance of 3,664 kilometers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]