Australian Michael Rogers Wins Stage 16 of Tour de France 2014
By Justin Noel Cudaihl | July 23, 2014 2:56 PM EST
Michael Rogers of Australia won the 16th stage of the Tour de France 2014 ending up first in the 237.5-kilometer round from Carcassone to Bagneres-de-Luchon. Rogers, who rides for team Tinkoff-Saxo, sprinted to the finish line nine seconds ahead of second-placer Thomas Voeckler (France), Vasil Kiryienka (Belarus) Jose Serpa (Colombia) and Cyril Autier (France)
The pack of riders cycles on its way during the 237.5km 16th stage of the Tour de France cycling race between Carcassonne and Bagneres-de-Luchon, July 22, 2014.
"I'm certainly riding smarter at this point of my career,” said the Australian in a report from abc.net.au. “I realised I have to be in it to win it. In the past, I was scared before it arrived. Now I tell myself: 'If you try your best, the worst thing that can happen is to lose a bike race.’ My new state of mind opens doors to many opportunities.”
The stage victory is the first for Rogers in the any Tour de France and an extra special one as it came in the longest route (237.5 km) of the tour this year. The two other routes nearly as long were in Stage 7 (234.5 km from Epernay to Nancy) and Stage 15 (222 km from Tallard to Nimes).
The 34-year-old Rogers’ previous notable finishes were in the 2006 Tour de France where he finished ninth overall and the 2009 Giro d'Italia where he made it to sixth place.
Italian Vincenzo Nibali of Astana Pro Team still wears the yellow jersey with a 4'37" lead over Alejandro Valverde Belmonte (Spain) of Movistar Team. Three Frenchmen occupy the next three spots Thiabaut Pinot (FDJ.FR), Jean-Christophe Peraud (AG2R La Mondiale) and Romain Bardet (AG2R La Mondiale) currently in third to fifth places, respectively.
The Tour de France 2014 started last July 5 and will end on July 27 and is made up of 21 stages covering a total distance of 3,664 kilometers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?