Australian Michael Rogers Wins Stage 16 of Tour de France 2014
By Justin Noel Cudaihl | July 23, 2014 2:56 PM EST
Michael Rogers of Australia won the 16th stage of the Tour de France 2014 ending up first in the 237.5-kilometer round from Carcassone to Bagneres-de-Luchon. Rogers, who rides for team Tinkoff-Saxo, sprinted to the finish line nine seconds ahead of second-placer Thomas Voeckler (France), Vasil Kiryienka (Belarus) Jose Serpa (Colombia) and Cyril Autier (France)
The pack of riders cycles on its way during the 237.5km 16th stage of the Tour de France cycling race between Carcassonne and Bagneres-de-Luchon, July 22, 2014.
"I'm certainly riding smarter at this point of my career,” said the Australian in a report from abc.net.au. “I realised I have to be in it to win it. In the past, I was scared before it arrived. Now I tell myself: 'If you try your best, the worst thing that can happen is to lose a bike race.’ My new state of mind opens doors to many opportunities.”
The stage victory is the first for Rogers in the any Tour de France and an extra special one as it came in the longest route (237.5 km) of the tour this year. The two other routes nearly as long were in Stage 7 (234.5 km from Epernay to Nancy) and Stage 15 (222 km from Tallard to Nimes).
The 34-year-old Rogers’ previous notable finishes were in the 2006 Tour de France where he finished ninth overall and the 2009 Giro d'Italia where he made it to sixth place.
Italian Vincenzo Nibali of Astana Pro Team still wears the yellow jersey with a 4'37" lead over Alejandro Valverde Belmonte (Spain) of Movistar Team. Three Frenchmen occupy the next three spots Thiabaut Pinot (FDJ.FR), Jean-Christophe Peraud (AG2R La Mondiale) and Romain Bardet (AG2R La Mondiale) currently in third to fifth places, respectively.
The Tour de France 2014 started last July 5 and will end on July 27 and is made up of 21 stages covering a total distance of 3,664 kilometers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- WWE Update: Bray Wyatt’s Twitter Post Hints Upcoming Fight With Sting [VIDEO]
- Rafael Nadal Gives Li Na Flowers, A Teary Farewell At Beijing China Open
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks