Australian Michael Rogers Wins Stage 16 of Tour de France 2014
By Justin Noel Cudaihl | July 23, 2014 2:56 PM EST
Michael Rogers of Australia won the 16th stage of the Tour de France 2014 ending up first in the 237.5-kilometer round from Carcassone to Bagneres-de-Luchon. Rogers, who rides for team Tinkoff-Saxo, sprinted to the finish line nine seconds ahead of second-placer Thomas Voeckler (France), Vasil Kiryienka (Belarus) Jose Serpa (Colombia) and Cyril Autier (France)
The pack of riders cycles on its way during the 237.5km 16th stage of the Tour de France cycling race between Carcassonne and Bagneres-de-Luchon, July 22, 2014.
"I'm certainly riding smarter at this point of my career,” said the Australian in a report from abc.net.au. “I realised I have to be in it to win it. In the past, I was scared before it arrived. Now I tell myself: 'If you try your best, the worst thing that can happen is to lose a bike race.’ My new state of mind opens doors to many opportunities.”
The stage victory is the first for Rogers in the any Tour de France and an extra special one as it came in the longest route (237.5 km) of the tour this year. The two other routes nearly as long were in Stage 7 (234.5 km from Epernay to Nancy) and Stage 15 (222 km from Tallard to Nimes).
The 34-year-old Rogers’ previous notable finishes were in the 2006 Tour de France where he finished ninth overall and the 2009 Giro d'Italia where he made it to sixth place.
Italian Vincenzo Nibali of Astana Pro Team still wears the yellow jersey with a 4'37" lead over Alejandro Valverde Belmonte (Spain) of Movistar Team. Three Frenchmen occupy the next three spots Thiabaut Pinot (FDJ.FR), Jean-Christophe Peraud (AG2R La Mondiale) and Romain Bardet (AG2R La Mondiale) currently in third to fifth places, respectively.
The Tour de France 2014 started last July 5 and will end on July 27 and is made up of 21 stages covering a total distance of 3,664 kilometers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’