Tour de France 2014 Live Streaming: Stage 17 Prediction, Standings and Results
By Lou Imperial | July 23, 2014 2:52 PM EST
The 2014 Tour de France is heating up as the 100th edition of the most prestigious cycling competition heads into another grueling climb from Saint-Gaudens to Saint-Lary-Soulan Pla d'Adet on Stage 17 on Wednesday.
The pack of riders cycles on its way during the 170-km ninth stage of the Tour de France cycling race between Gerardmer and Mulhouse July 13, 2014. REUTERS/Jacky Naegelen (FRANCE - Tags: SPORT CYCLING)
Veteran biker Michael Rogers gave Australia its first victory of the tour after crossing the line first on Tuesday's excruciating 16th stage from Carcassonne to Bagneres-de-Luchon. The 247.5-kilometer ride is considered one of the toughest stages in the competition that saw Vincenzo Nibali dominating on top of the general classification podium.
Roger's victory served as the crowning glory in his career after serving a temporary suspension for being tested positive for banned substance clenbuterol at the Japan Cup last October. However, the International Cycling reversed the decision last April, allowing the 34-year old Australian to compete at Giro d' Italia - in which he also won a couple of stage.
"I always dreamed of winning a Grand Tour and I tried for many years. All of a sudden I realised, stop trying to live someone else's life, you can win stages, you can win seven-day stage races that are a little bit shorter," Rogers told the press conference right after his victory via the Australian.
Stage 17: Saint-Gaudens - Saint-Lary-Soulan Pla d'Adet
The 17th stage of the Tour de France is expected to get even tougher for the GC riders as they embark into another mountainous route capped by another climb to the finish, at Pla d'Adet, at 1,654 metres (5,427 ft).
The stage features at least three Category 1 climbs at 1 Col du Portillon at 1,292 metres, Col de Peyresourde at 1,569 metres, Category 1 Col de Val Louron-Azet at 1,580 metres, giving GC riders and big climbers the advantage in this part of the tour.
However, factors such as wind could affect the outcome of the race and the GC standings, with Nibali looking to pad up his four minutes, 37 seconds lead over Spain's Alejandro Valverde.
Outlook for the Stage
The sprinters are set to take center stage at least for the first hour of the race with a flat surface on its initial portion. Peter Sagan and the rest of the green jersey contenders will try hard to break away from the peloton and build momentum before making their climbs.
Again, Nibali will be among the contenders to finish first but the threat of homegrown talent like Alberto Contador, Haimar Zubeldia and Valverde would be even greater than ever. Rogers could also pull off an encore performance, feeding from the momentum he got from his recent win.
Prediction: Nibali winning the stage in thrilling fashion.
Live Stream Information
Live TV Coverage of the Tour de France 2014 (Stage 17) is available on NBCSN (US Viewers) and ITV4 (UK). NBC Sports Extra (US), ITV4 (UK), and SBS Live Stream (Australia) provide free live streaming services to viewers, while the latest standings and news update are available on Tour de France 2014.
For more Tour de France update, read more at IBT Sports.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- Dallas Mavericks Owner Mark Cuban Wants The Los Angeles Lakers To ‘Suck Forever’
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Exit For Messi Is Possible - Tata Martino
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- 6 Big Reasons iPhone 6 Plus is Must-Have Black Friday, Christmas 2014 Buy
- NATO To Russia: 'Pull Back Your Troops'
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports