Mike Tyson to Introduce Evander Holyfield in Nevada Boxing Hall of Fame Ceremonies
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 23, 2014 2:42 PM EST
No more of the ear biting stuff this time; it is all about brotherly love for these two sluggers.
Evander Holyfield is slated to be inducted into the Nevada Boxing Hall of Fame on August 9 and no other than Mike Tyson will be there to present him with the induction trophy at the New Tropicana Hotel in Las Vegas.
Gary Owen (L) and Mike Tyson present the award for best male hip hop artist during the 2014 BET Awards in Los Angeles, California June 29, 2014.
The Tyson-Holyfield relationship was famous for an ear biting incident during the much publicized boxing match in 1997. Tyson bit off a piece of Holyfield's ear during the match and apparently almost twenty years later, both fighters let bygones be bygones.
Since then, they have already appeared in a commercial together, seen publicly during high profile boxing matches and now Tyson will honor his former foe with one of boxing's highest achievement. The former and youngest heavyweight champion will also deliver the presenting speech for the Holyfield.
The boxing world is pleased with the show of camaraderie of the two legends.
"This is the kind of thing we showed is possible in boxing last year at our inaugural induction ceremony -- former and even current rivals coming together under the same roof to celebrate boxing. Everyone checks those rivalries at the door. Tyson presenting Holyfield is sheer magic," Rich Marotta, the president of the Nevada Boxing Hall of Fame, said in a news release per Fox Sports.
For their part, both Tyson and Holyfield are ecstatic with the upcoming ceremony with Tyson calling the opportunity to introduce his friend as both "a privilege and honor" while Holyfield appreciates the gesture and said "that's great" about Tyson's presence in the ceremony.
The two Hall of Fame bound fighter first faced off in 1996 when Holyfield got the upper hand of Tyson at the MGM Grand Arena via a 11th round Technical Knock Out (TKO). Their rematch was set at the same venue in 1997 that marked the infamous third round when Tyson did the unthinkable and bit off a portion of Holyfield's ear. Since then, the two have reconciled and the forthcoming inauguration only cements that new found friendship.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues