Gary Oldman Covers Iggy Azalea’s ‘Fancy’ [VIDEO]
By Rachelle Corpuz | July 23, 2014 2:25 PM EST
English screen and stage actor Gary Oldman is the latest celebrity to perform a cover of Iggy Azalea's hit song "Fancy."
The 56-year-old actor who has an ardent interest in music did an extraordinary cover of Azalea's "Fancy" during his appearance at Britain's radio station 95-106 Capital FM. Popular celebrity blogger Perez Hilton thought it was an "award-deserving performance."
Cast member Gary Oldman poses for photographers as he arrives at the premiere of Robocop at the BFI IMAX Southbank in London in this February 5, 2014, file photo. Oldman's manager said on June 24, 2014 that the British actor was not defending Mel Gibson or Alec Baldwin in an interview about past comments they made about Jews and homosexuals, but was railing against political correctness.
Video Courtesy: YouTube/Capital Breakfast
The ageing but still handsome character actor has recorded songs in the past. He sang several tracks in the 1986 Alex Cox movie Sid and Nancy. Oldman played the role of the seminal punk rock band the Sex Pistol's bassist Sid Vicious in the movie which talked about the Sid's life and romantic relationship with girlfriend. Oldman recorded the songs "I Wanna Be Your Dog" and "My Way." Oldman also did a duet with long-time friend and musician David Bowie for the song "You've Been Around."
However, it may still seem a little surprising to hear Oldman take on a rap song like Azalea's "Fancy." The song is Azalea's fourth single off her debut album "The New Classic." It featured English singer-songwriter Charli XCX and was released on Feb. 17, 2014 on iTunes digital download.
The song has received a generally affirmative reaction from critics. Rolling Stone's Joe Gross wrote that the flawless Aussie singer-rapper, whose real name is Amethyst Amelia Kelly, "handled the ratchet beat" pretty well. Rap Critic scored the tune three out of five. With the song, Azalea made history by becoming the only female rapper to have ruled the Billboard's Hot 100 Charts for six weeks, beating the likes of Li'l Kim, Lauryn Hill, and Shawnna.
On July 7, late night show host Jimmy Fallon together with David Crosby, Stephen Stills, and Graham Nash also delivered a rousing acoustic cover of "Fancy."
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage