Gary Oldman Covers Iggy Azalea’s ‘Fancy’ [VIDEO]
By Rachelle Corpuz | July 23, 2014 2:25 PM EST
English screen and stage actor Gary Oldman is the latest celebrity to perform a cover of Iggy Azalea's hit song "Fancy."
The 56-year-old actor who has an ardent interest in music did an extraordinary cover of Azalea's "Fancy" during his appearance at Britain's radio station 95-106 Capital FM. Popular celebrity blogger Perez Hilton thought it was an "award-deserving performance."
Cast member Gary Oldman poses for photographers as he arrives at the premiere of Robocop at the BFI IMAX Southbank in London in this February 5, 2014, file photo. Oldman's manager said on June 24, 2014 that the British actor was not defending Mel Gibson or Alec Baldwin in an interview about past comments they made about Jews and homosexuals, but was railing against political correctness.
Video Courtesy: YouTube/Capital Breakfast
The ageing but still handsome character actor has recorded songs in the past. He sang several tracks in the 1986 Alex Cox movie Sid and Nancy. Oldman played the role of the seminal punk rock band the Sex Pistol's bassist Sid Vicious in the movie which talked about the Sid's life and romantic relationship with girlfriend. Oldman recorded the songs "I Wanna Be Your Dog" and "My Way." Oldman also did a duet with long-time friend and musician David Bowie for the song "You've Been Around."
However, it may still seem a little surprising to hear Oldman take on a rap song like Azalea's "Fancy." The song is Azalea's fourth single off her debut album "The New Classic." It featured English singer-songwriter Charli XCX and was released on Feb. 17, 2014 on iTunes digital download.
The song has received a generally affirmative reaction from critics. Rolling Stone's Joe Gross wrote that the flawless Aussie singer-rapper, whose real name is Amethyst Amelia Kelly, "handled the ratchet beat" pretty well. Rap Critic scored the tune three out of five. With the song, Azalea made history by becoming the only female rapper to have ruled the Billboard's Hot 100 Charts for six weeks, beating the likes of Li'l Kim, Lauryn Hill, and Shawnna.
On July 7, late night show host Jimmy Fallon together with David Crosby, Stephen Stills, and Graham Nash also delivered a rousing acoustic cover of "Fancy."
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Green Bay Packers Vs. Chicago Bears Live Streaming Info And Preview
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate