Gary Oldman Covers Iggy Azalea’s ‘Fancy’ [VIDEO]
By Rachelle Corpuz | July 23, 2014 2:25 PM EST
English screen and stage actor Gary Oldman is the latest celebrity to perform a cover of Iggy Azalea's hit song "Fancy."
The 56-year-old actor who has an ardent interest in music did an extraordinary cover of Azalea's "Fancy" during his appearance at Britain's radio station 95-106 Capital FM. Popular celebrity blogger Perez Hilton thought it was an "award-deserving performance."
Cast member Gary Oldman poses for photographers as he arrives at the premiere of Robocop at the BFI IMAX Southbank in London in this February 5, 2014, file photo. Oldman's manager said on June 24, 2014 that the British actor was not defending Mel Gibson or Alec Baldwin in an interview about past comments they made about Jews and homosexuals, but was railing against political correctness.
Video Courtesy: YouTube/Capital Breakfast
The ageing but still handsome character actor has recorded songs in the past. He sang several tracks in the 1986 Alex Cox movie Sid and Nancy. Oldman played the role of the seminal punk rock band the Sex Pistol's bassist Sid Vicious in the movie which talked about the Sid's life and romantic relationship with girlfriend. Oldman recorded the songs "I Wanna Be Your Dog" and "My Way." Oldman also did a duet with long-time friend and musician David Bowie for the song "You've Been Around."
However, it may still seem a little surprising to hear Oldman take on a rap song like Azalea's "Fancy." The song is Azalea's fourth single off her debut album "The New Classic." It featured English singer-songwriter Charli XCX and was released on Feb. 17, 2014 on iTunes digital download.
The song has received a generally affirmative reaction from critics. Rolling Stone's Joe Gross wrote that the flawless Aussie singer-rapper, whose real name is Amethyst Amelia Kelly, "handled the ratchet beat" pretty well. Rap Critic scored the tune three out of five. With the song, Azalea made history by becoming the only female rapper to have ruled the Billboard's Hot 100 Charts for six weeks, beating the likes of Li'l Kim, Lauryn Hill, and Shawnna.
On July 7, late night show host Jimmy Fallon together with David Crosby, Stephen Stills, and Graham Nash also delivered a rousing acoustic cover of "Fancy."
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft