Gary Oldman Covers Iggy Azalea’s ‘Fancy’ [VIDEO]
By Rachelle Corpuz | July 23, 2014 2:25 PM EST
English screen and stage actor Gary Oldman is the latest celebrity to perform a cover of Iggy Azalea's hit song "Fancy."
The 56-year-old actor who has an ardent interest in music did an extraordinary cover of Azalea's "Fancy" during his appearance at Britain's radio station 95-106 Capital FM. Popular celebrity blogger Perez Hilton thought it was an "award-deserving performance."
Cast member Gary Oldman poses for photographers as he arrives at the premiere of Robocop at the BFI IMAX Southbank in London in this February 5, 2014, file photo. Oldman's manager said on June 24, 2014 that the British actor was not defending Mel Gibson or Alec Baldwin in an interview about past comments they made about Jews and homosexuals, but was railing against political correctness.
Video Courtesy: YouTube/Capital Breakfast
The ageing but still handsome character actor has recorded songs in the past. He sang several tracks in the 1986 Alex Cox movie Sid and Nancy. Oldman played the role of the seminal punk rock band the Sex Pistol's bassist Sid Vicious in the movie which talked about the Sid's life and romantic relationship with girlfriend. Oldman recorded the songs "I Wanna Be Your Dog" and "My Way." Oldman also did a duet with long-time friend and musician David Bowie for the song "You've Been Around."
However, it may still seem a little surprising to hear Oldman take on a rap song like Azalea's "Fancy." The song is Azalea's fourth single off her debut album "The New Classic." It featured English singer-songwriter Charli XCX and was released on Feb. 17, 2014 on iTunes digital download.
The song has received a generally affirmative reaction from critics. Rolling Stone's Joe Gross wrote that the flawless Aussie singer-rapper, whose real name is Amethyst Amelia Kelly, "handled the ratchet beat" pretty well. Rap Critic scored the tune three out of five. With the song, Azalea made history by becoming the only female rapper to have ruled the Billboard's Hot 100 Charts for six weeks, beating the likes of Li'l Kim, Lauryn Hill, and Shawnna.
On July 7, late night show host Jimmy Fallon together with David Crosby, Stephen Stills, and Graham Nash also delivered a rousing acoustic cover of "Fancy."
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- USA Defeats Lithuania, 96-68; Americans Advance To Championship Round Of 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers