The Rock As Captain Marvel, 'Confirms' Role In Interview
By Tanya Diente | July 23, 2014 2:02 PM EST
Speculations have been swirling that Dwayne Johnson aka "The Rock" is set to play a DC superhero in "Shazam!" He might have just confirmed that he will play the character of "Captain Marvel" in the movie during an interview.
Actor Dwayne Johnson greets audience members during the inaugural 2014 Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Sports awards at UCLA's Pauley Pavilion in Los Angeles, California July 17, 2014.
There's a lot on Dwayne Johnson's acting plate right now. The actor recently finished filming for his role as a bounty hunter turned Marshall in "Fast and the Furious 7." He also played the legendary superhuman Hercules. Now, the actor is rumoured to play a superhero this time which details he indirectly revealed during an interview.
"The Rock" sat down for an interview all about "Hercules" with Total Film. The conversation eventually veered off to his rumoured "Shazam!" role.
The actor claimed that he and DC will soon make an announcement pertaining to his new role. He said his character will possess the power similar to "Superman" and not the "Green Lantern."
"He was a character I wanted to play, but there was already a version of Green Lantern," he said.
Check the interview video below.
Additionally, Movieweb quoted the actor when he said, "I will say this. There's a character out there that we're going to announce very soon that I'm going to play, and I'll just say this: This character has the power of Superman, he can throw down. Just say the word. That's all I'm going to say."
When he said "just say the word," Total Film suggested that fans could now put the clues together that clearly Johnson would be playing DC's "Captain Marvel." The movie title would eventually be called "Shazam!"
"Captain Marvel" tells the story of Billy Batson. He's a young boy who is granted the power to transform into Captain Marvel who, like what the actor said, has Superman-like powers. Whenever he wants to transform into a superhero, he would "just say the word" Shazam. That's all Billy, or for this matter as what Dwayne said, "All I'm going to say."
Movieweb reported Dwayne Johnson also talked about his DC character back in March but at that time few speculated he would be playing the role of Black Adam in "Shazam!" Now based on his interview, it seems very clear that he is playing "Captain Marvel."
Fans would have to wait for more details as Total Film hinted Dwayne Johnson will reveal his DC character in the coming Comic-con panel.
Source: YouTube/Total Film
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Update: Louise And Blake To Make Their First Appearance As A Couple In Australia
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery