The Rock As Captain Marvel, 'Confirms' Role In Interview
By Tanya Diente | July 23, 2014 2:02 PM EST
Speculations have been swirling that Dwayne Johnson aka "The Rock" is set to play a DC superhero in "Shazam!" He might have just confirmed that he will play the character of "Captain Marvel" in the movie during an interview.
Actor Dwayne Johnson greets audience members during the inaugural 2014 Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Sports awards at UCLA's Pauley Pavilion in Los Angeles, California July 17, 2014.
There's a lot on Dwayne Johnson's acting plate right now. The actor recently finished filming for his role as a bounty hunter turned Marshall in "Fast and the Furious 7." He also played the legendary superhuman Hercules. Now, the actor is rumoured to play a superhero this time which details he indirectly revealed during an interview.
"The Rock" sat down for an interview all about "Hercules" with Total Film. The conversation eventually veered off to his rumoured "Shazam!" role.
The actor claimed that he and DC will soon make an announcement pertaining to his new role. He said his character will possess the power similar to "Superman" and not the "Green Lantern."
"He was a character I wanted to play, but there was already a version of Green Lantern," he said.
Check the interview video below.
Additionally, Movieweb quoted the actor when he said, "I will say this. There's a character out there that we're going to announce very soon that I'm going to play, and I'll just say this: This character has the power of Superman, he can throw down. Just say the word. That's all I'm going to say."
When he said "just say the word," Total Film suggested that fans could now put the clues together that clearly Johnson would be playing DC's "Captain Marvel." The movie title would eventually be called "Shazam!"
"Captain Marvel" tells the story of Billy Batson. He's a young boy who is granted the power to transform into Captain Marvel who, like what the actor said, has Superman-like powers. Whenever he wants to transform into a superhero, he would "just say the word" Shazam. That's all Billy, or for this matter as what Dwayne said, "All I'm going to say."
Movieweb reported Dwayne Johnson also talked about his DC character back in March but at that time few speculated he would be playing the role of Black Adam in "Shazam!" Now based on his interview, it seems very clear that he is playing "Captain Marvel."
Fans would have to wait for more details as Total Film hinted Dwayne Johnson will reveal his DC character in the coming Comic-con panel.
Source: YouTube/Total Film
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions