The Rock As Captain Marvel, 'Confirms' Role In Interview
By Tanya Diente | July 23, 2014 2:02 PM EST
Speculations have been swirling that Dwayne Johnson aka "The Rock" is set to play a DC superhero in "Shazam!" He might have just confirmed that he will play the character of "Captain Marvel" in the movie during an interview.
Actor Dwayne Johnson greets audience members during the inaugural 2014 Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Sports awards at UCLA's Pauley Pavilion in Los Angeles, California July 17, 2014.
There's a lot on Dwayne Johnson's acting plate right now. The actor recently finished filming for his role as a bounty hunter turned Marshall in "Fast and the Furious 7." He also played the legendary superhuman Hercules. Now, the actor is rumoured to play a superhero this time which details he indirectly revealed during an interview.
"The Rock" sat down for an interview all about "Hercules" with Total Film. The conversation eventually veered off to his rumoured "Shazam!" role.
The actor claimed that he and DC will soon make an announcement pertaining to his new role. He said his character will possess the power similar to "Superman" and not the "Green Lantern."
"He was a character I wanted to play, but there was already a version of Green Lantern," he said.
Check the interview video below.
Additionally, Movieweb quoted the actor when he said, "I will say this. There's a character out there that we're going to announce very soon that I'm going to play, and I'll just say this: This character has the power of Superman, he can throw down. Just say the word. That's all I'm going to say."
When he said "just say the word," Total Film suggested that fans could now put the clues together that clearly Johnson would be playing DC's "Captain Marvel." The movie title would eventually be called "Shazam!"
"Captain Marvel" tells the story of Billy Batson. He's a young boy who is granted the power to transform into Captain Marvel who, like what the actor said, has Superman-like powers. Whenever he wants to transform into a superhero, he would "just say the word" Shazam. That's all Billy, or for this matter as what Dwayne said, "All I'm going to say."
Movieweb reported Dwayne Johnson also talked about his DC character back in March but at that time few speculated he would be playing the role of Black Adam in "Shazam!" Now based on his interview, it seems very clear that he is playing "Captain Marvel."
Fans would have to wait for more details as Total Film hinted Dwayne Johnson will reveal his DC character in the coming Comic-con panel.
Source: YouTube/Total Film
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde’s Freedom: Hollywood People Oppose TPB Founder’s Imprisonment
- 'Dancing With The Stars' (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Week 2 Spoilers: Things To Expect; Find Out Which Choreographer Is Quitting
- 'Downton Abbey' Spoilers: 'Surprising New Stories' In Season 5, George Clooney's Cameo Appearance
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown