The Rock As Captain Marvel, 'Confirms' Role In Interview
By Tanya Diente | July 23, 2014 2:02 PM EST
Speculations have been swirling that Dwayne Johnson aka "The Rock" is set to play a DC superhero in "Shazam!" He might have just confirmed that he will play the character of "Captain Marvel" in the movie during an interview.
Actor Dwayne Johnson greets audience members during the inaugural 2014 Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Sports awards at UCLA's Pauley Pavilion in Los Angeles, California July 17, 2014.
There's a lot on Dwayne Johnson's acting plate right now. The actor recently finished filming for his role as a bounty hunter turned Marshall in "Fast and the Furious 7." He also played the legendary superhuman Hercules. Now, the actor is rumoured to play a superhero this time which details he indirectly revealed during an interview.
"The Rock" sat down for an interview all about "Hercules" with Total Film. The conversation eventually veered off to his rumoured "Shazam!" role.
The actor claimed that he and DC will soon make an announcement pertaining to his new role. He said his character will possess the power similar to "Superman" and not the "Green Lantern."
"He was a character I wanted to play, but there was already a version of Green Lantern," he said.
Check the interview video below.
Additionally, Movieweb quoted the actor when he said, "I will say this. There's a character out there that we're going to announce very soon that I'm going to play, and I'll just say this: This character has the power of Superman, he can throw down. Just say the word. That's all I'm going to say."
When he said "just say the word," Total Film suggested that fans could now put the clues together that clearly Johnson would be playing DC's "Captain Marvel." The movie title would eventually be called "Shazam!"
"Captain Marvel" tells the story of Billy Batson. He's a young boy who is granted the power to transform into Captain Marvel who, like what the actor said, has Superman-like powers. Whenever he wants to transform into a superhero, he would "just say the word" Shazam. That's all Billy, or for this matter as what Dwayne said, "All I'm going to say."
Movieweb reported Dwayne Johnson also talked about his DC character back in March but at that time few speculated he would be playing the role of Black Adam in "Shazam!" Now based on his interview, it seems very clear that he is playing "Captain Marvel."
Fans would have to wait for more details as Total Film hinted Dwayne Johnson will reveal his DC character in the coming Comic-con panel.
Source: YouTube/Total Film
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 2 Major Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Strangers’
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’: Blake And Louise Tell The True Story
- ‘Days Of Our Lives’ (DOOL) Oct. 20-24 Spoilers: An ‘Unexpected Visitor’ Changes Everything For Sami Plus Updates On Salemites
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Oct. 20-24, 2014, Plus Additional Spoilers For Oct. 27, 2014: Nina Makes Public Rosalie’s Secret
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity