All Paedophiles Are Not Child Abusers: Experts Call for New Approach
By Kalyan Kumar | July 23, 2014 12:28 PM EST
The issue of paedophiles is under global debate. Amidst calls for harsh laws, fresh advocacy for humane approaches to the malady is in the air. Some such votaries say paedophiles can come out of their impulses if there is more empathy from the society, reports CBC Canada.
Members of a Star Wars fan club in Thailand, dressed as Stormtroopers, interact with children during a Star Wars Day celebration at the Phayathai Babies Home in Nonthaburi province, on the outskirts of Bangkok, June 7, 2014.
The report by Amber Hildebrandt pointed to an initiative launched by Ethan Edwards (pseudonym) who in his mid-50s has confided to be a paedophile in the past. Edwards, himself the father of three daughters, realised that he was attracted to young girls but claims he never acted on it.
Online Support Group
Today he wants to support people afflicted by such impulses and devoting his energy to ensure that no child is victimised. His online support group is helping pedophiles to talk through their conditions and control the dangerous desires.
James Cantor, a leading expert on paedophilia at Toronto's Centre for Addiction and Mental Health said misunderstanding exists about the condition itself. He begs to distinguish paedophilia from child molestation and calls it a certain sexual interest. It is different from people who actually act on the sexual impulse and touch a child.
Canadian Teacher Held
Recently, two Canadian teachers were detained in Indonesia in connection with a child sexual assault case. The case was reported by the Toronto Sun and it involved a former Calgary teacher and an Indonesian colleague. They were taken as suspects for the alleged sexual abuse of three young students at an International School in Jakarta.
Afraid to Speak
James notes that the stigma attached to paedophilia is so strong that those with that affliction are afraid to reveal their troubling thoughts. At the same time, laws are also scaring them from speaking out to their therapists.
James Cantor argues that many studies have shown that MRIs of paedophiles have indicated that their IQs are10 points lower than the average person, plus their memory scores are also poor.
A Sexual Orientation
In 2013, David Goldberg, a Montreal based newspaper editor wrote a column in The Atlantic magazine about his arrest as part of an international child-porn bust.
Goldberg claimed he never hurt a child. During the jail term, Goldberg put his journalistic skills to work and researched on the root cause of paedophilia, and concluded that it was nothing but a sexual orientation.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Spreads Through Red Cross Vaccine - Ghana Nurse ‘Testifies’; The Truth About Red Cross
- Ebola Outbreak Blamed on Infected Bushmeat; First Family to Catch Virus Hunted Bats
- Ebola Is Changing The Religious Landscape In West Africa
- Ebola Outbreak To Continue Until Effective Vaccine Surfaces; 120,000 Women To Die of Childbirth
- Ebola Does Not Infect But Scares Southwestern College To Evacuate Students
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage