Study Reveals The Most Unhappy Cities in The US
By Sarah Thomas | July 23, 2014 12:02 PM EST
The United Nations conducts a survey every year and determines the happiest countries on the basis of the polls. The results are out in the World's Happiness Report. This however takes all the nations into account. A recent research sought to identify the unhappiest cities in the United States.
American flags flap in the wind at the Cannon Ball Flag Day celebration at the Cannon Ball Powwow Grounds on the Standing Rock Sioux Reservation in North Dakota
The analysis revealed the unhappiest cities in the US and also found out that young people were still willing to go there if there were good job opportunities. Co-author of the analysis Joshua Gottlieb of the University of British Columbia's Vancouver School of Economics, suggested that people may be deciding to trade happiness for other gains.
The U.S. National Bureau of Economic Research released the working paper "Unhappy Cities," last week. A large survey was conducted as a part of it that questioned the respondents about how happy and content they were and probed into their satisfaction levels with life. They found that individuals were willing to let go of their happiness in exchange for a higher income or lower accommodation rates. This was indicated by a measure, which is often interpreted as a measure of happiness.
Gottlieb said, "Our research indicates that people care about more than happiness alone, so other factors may encourage them to stay in a city despite their unhappiness." His explanation meant that researchers and policy-makers were not to consider an increase in reported happiness as an overriding objective.
Gottlieb and his team explored the different regions of the U.S. where the satisfaction levels were low. They found that residents of declining cities appeared less happy than those who live in other parts of the U.S.
People residing in the region since long appeared equally unhappy as those who just moved in. This indicated that the city's unhappiness persists over time. An analysis of the city's historical data revealed an unhappy past as well; even when they were prosperous the happiness quotient was not high.
The 10 happiest metropolitan regions with a more than 1 million population (as of 2010) were Richmond-Petersburg (VA), Norfolk-Virginia Beach-Newport News (VA), Washington, DC, Raleigh-Durham (NC), Atlanta (GA), Houston(TX), Jacksonville (FL), Nashvillle (TN), West Palm Beach-Boca Raton(FL) , Middlesex-Somerset-Hunterdon (NJ).
The 10 unhappiest metropolitan regions with a population greater than 1 million (as of 2010) are New York (NY), Pittsburgh (PA), Louisville (KY), Milwaukee (WI), Detroit (MI), Indianapolis (IN), St. Louis (MO), Las Vegas (NV), Buffalo (NY) and Philadelphia (PA).
U.S. metropolitan areas with the highest reported happiness are Charlottesville (VA), Rochester (MN), Lafayette (LA), Naples (FL), Baton Rouge (LA), Flagstaff (AZ), Shreveport (LA), Houma (LA), Corpus Christi (TX) and Provo (UT).
The least happy American regions are Scranton (PA), St. Joseph (MO), Erie (PA), South Bend (IN), Jersey City (NJ), Johnstown (PA), Non-metropolitan West Virginia, Springfield (MA), New York (NY) and Evansville-Henderson (IN-KY).
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- What Quinoa Is And Why It's Good For Weight Loss
- Home Flu Test Kit Available Soon
- Kate Middleton: Duchess Of Cambridge's Beauty Secrets Revealed By Her Skin Specialist
- Preterm Birth Complications Outranks Leading Causes Of Death In Young Children
- Bird Flu Update: European Union Commission Enforces Curbs On Poultry : UK Says It Is At Low Risk
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- NATO To Russia: 'Pull Back Your Troops'
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports
- Xiaomi to Kill Redmi 1S for More Redmi Notes