Bikini Waxing Increases Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI) Risk in Women: Latest Study Reveals
By Indrani Bhattacharyya | July 23, 2014 11:30 AM EST
As of today, bikini wax is a common beauty treatment every woman who loves her bikini follows.
But according to a recent report, it may not be too safe an approach to depend on.
The work which got published appeared in the journal of JAMA Dermatology, observed that a bikini wax may increase the general risk of contracting a sexually transmitted infection (STI) in women.
Snowboarders prepare to compete in the Bikini & Board Shorts Downhill at Crystal Mountain, a ski resort near Enumclaw, Washington April 19, 2014. Skiers and snowboarders competed for a chance to win one of four season's passes.
The study says that through removal of pubic hair, viruses or bacteria get more opportunities to enter the body because of the "deficits in the mucocutaneous barrier"; waxing can cause micro-trauma for the skin and its underlying structures.
Dr. Robert Brodell, chief of the University of Mississippi Medical Center's Division of Dermatology previously explained that damaged skin makes women more susceptible to STIs.
"The body has a number of defense mechanisms to prevent infection. One of those mechanisms is normal, healthy skin, aberrations in the skin "open the door for catching the infection," Dr. Robert was quoted saying.
But the study also took into account the fact that it may not just be the removal of the hair but also the general behaviour and clean up schedule a woman follows after a bikini wax leads to a higher STI risk.
The reports states that grooming of pubic hair is turning into an increasingly common practice among women from all societies and demographic groups.
"In the United States, women are more likely to groom for reasons that are sexually driven and are more likely to stop grooming when lacking a current sexual partner. Further, pubic hair removal is significantly associated with a greater interest in sex and having a casual sex partner," the report noted.
Therefore it’s probably a better idea to know in detail about the potential risks of STIs associated with bikini wax before you go for your next one.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Battery Life Test Shows Its Curved Display And Build Has Impacted Its Battery Performance