Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Russia Floats Another Ridiculous Conspiracy Theory that MH 370 & 17 Is One Jet Which U.S. Military Arranged to Be Blown Up Over Ukraine
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 23, 2014 8:53 AM EST
More than four months after the ill-fated Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 mysteriously disappeared on March 8 after it left Kuala Lumpur for Beijing, until today, various theories regarding the incident continue to swirl, with not one proven to be correct or dispelled.
Such could also be the fate of the Malaysian Airlines Flight 17 which left Amsterdam airport on July 17 and never reached Kuala Lumpur following it being hit by a missile that caused the jet to crash.
Speculations likewise swirl regarding the Boeing 777, including one conspiracy theory originated in Russian that the missing and the crashed jets are one and the same jet. That MH 370 and 17 are the same jets that the U.S. military arranged for a second flight filled with dead bodies to be hit by a missile while flying over eastern Ukraine.
Business Insider, which reported that conspiracy theory, noted that it does not circulate among legitimate news agencies in Russia, but Russian TV is pointing to a the U.S. as the one responsible for the mishap. Russian President Vladimir Putin, in his statement on Sunday, insisted the tragedy would not have happened if military operations were not resumed in eastern Ukraine.
The article quoted a Russian language professor as saying that the conspiracy theory is part of government brainwashing reinforced by lack of alternative sources of news in Russia and the push to have citizens believe that their country is still in the era of superpowers and Russia is one of them.
In turn, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry insisted that Russia is supporting the separatists who are being blamed for firing the missile that hit the jet. He pointed to U.S. and Ukrainian intelligence and social media reports that pinpoint the responsibility over the death of the 298 people on board MH 17 to the separatists.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Search Update: Wreckage Found In Indian Ocean To Be Verified
- Gaza Conflict Turns Showbiz With Lady Gaga and Hollywood Celebrities
- MH370: Kiwi Author Insists On Pilot Suicide Theory
- Facebook Scam Has Qantas Official Logo And Tempting Offer Of $1,500 Free Voucher
- 5 Most Breathtaking Sunsets In The World
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date