Boxing News 2014: Another Diss from the Mayweathers as Boxer’s Father Accuses Pacquiao of Agreeing to the Dream Match Only for Money
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 23, 2014 8:48 AM EST
Many signs point to the dream match between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather taking place in May 2015 despite both boxers focus is on promoting their Nov 22 and Sept 14 ring bouts versus Chris Algieri and Marcos Maidana, respectively.
One such indicator is another diss from a second Mayweather this week against the Filipino eight-division title holder after Mayweather called Pacquiao a "bitch" during his Friday press conference promoting the rematch with Maidana.
On Tuesday, it was the turn of Mayweather senior to trash talk Pacquiao, saying that the congressman is not really interested in fighting his son, but is willing to because he needs the money to settle his P2.2 billion tax obligation with the Philippine government.
It is a complete turnaround from the father's statement last week when he confirmed to a sports Web site the May 2015 bout, but admitted the only reason why his son agreed to the fight is to please the fans and the big guaranteed purse.
Although there is no official confirmation from both camps of the May event, Mayweather has hinted of a big surprise in May, while UAE Prince Amir Shafipour had said that he has gotten the blessing of the UAE royal family to negotiate with the camp of the two boxers to have the match in Dubai. The dream match reportedly revolves around the amount of $300 million, which could mean both boxers would likely be offered guaranteed purse higher than the $40 million that Mayweather got for his May 3 fight against Maidana.
Mayweather senior told Ropes Boxing Radio, "Let me say this right here, Pacquiao runs his damn mouth all the time, talking [expletive] - at least Freddie Roach do. Freddie 'The Joke Coach' Roach, he runs his mouth. I don't think it's Pacquiao that much. Pacquiao, I know he really don't want to fight."
He added, "Pacquiao fights now because Pacquiao needs money and what Pacquiao's got to understand is, he can't believe people like Freddie 'The Joke Coach' Roach and that's where the joke is coming from right now. His money's being got and he don't [expletive] even see it, that's the joke right there."
Some boxing experts, however, believe that it is Mayweather who has made excuses not to fight Pacquiao to preserve his 0 loss record, noting that he only picks boxers whom he believes he could easily beat.
The elder Mayweather actually disses not just Pacquiao but all the other boxers to make his son look like the greatest boxer of all times.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet