Boxing News 2014: Another Diss from the Mayweathers as Boxer’s Father Accuses Pacquiao of Agreeing to the Dream Match Only for Money
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 23, 2014 8:48 AM EST
Many signs point to the dream match between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather taking place in May 2015 despite both boxers focus is on promoting their Nov 22 and Sept 14 ring bouts versus Chris Algieri and Marcos Maidana, respectively.
One such indicator is another diss from a second Mayweather this week against the Filipino eight-division title holder after Mayweather called Pacquiao a "bitch" during his Friday press conference promoting the rematch with Maidana.
On Tuesday, it was the turn of Mayweather senior to trash talk Pacquiao, saying that the congressman is not really interested in fighting his son, but is willing to because he needs the money to settle his P2.2 billion tax obligation with the Philippine government.
It is a complete turnaround from the father's statement last week when he confirmed to a sports Web site the May 2015 bout, but admitted the only reason why his son agreed to the fight is to please the fans and the big guaranteed purse.
Although there is no official confirmation from both camps of the May event, Mayweather has hinted of a big surprise in May, while UAE Prince Amir Shafipour had said that he has gotten the blessing of the UAE royal family to negotiate with the camp of the two boxers to have the match in Dubai. The dream match reportedly revolves around the amount of $300 million, which could mean both boxers would likely be offered guaranteed purse higher than the $40 million that Mayweather got for his May 3 fight against Maidana.
Mayweather senior told Ropes Boxing Radio, "Let me say this right here, Pacquiao runs his damn mouth all the time, talking [expletive] - at least Freddie Roach do. Freddie 'The Joke Coach' Roach, he runs his mouth. I don't think it's Pacquiao that much. Pacquiao, I know he really don't want to fight."
He added, "Pacquiao fights now because Pacquiao needs money and what Pacquiao's got to understand is, he can't believe people like Freddie 'The Joke Coach' Roach and that's where the joke is coming from right now. His money's being got and he don't [expletive] even see it, that's the joke right there."
Some boxing experts, however, believe that it is Mayweather who has made excuses not to fight Pacquiao to preserve his 0 loss record, noting that he only picks boxers whom he believes he could easily beat.
The elder Mayweather actually disses not just Pacquiao but all the other boxers to make his son look like the greatest boxer of all times.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles