Boxing News 2014: Another Diss from the Mayweathers as Boxer’s Father Accuses Pacquiao of Agreeing to the Dream Match Only for Money
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 23, 2014 8:48 AM EST
Many signs point to the dream match between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather taking place in May 2015 despite both boxers focus is on promoting their Nov 22 and Sept 14 ring bouts versus Chris Algieri and Marcos Maidana, respectively.
One such indicator is another diss from a second Mayweather this week against the Filipino eight-division title holder after Mayweather called Pacquiao a "bitch" during his Friday press conference promoting the rematch with Maidana.
On Tuesday, it was the turn of Mayweather senior to trash talk Pacquiao, saying that the congressman is not really interested in fighting his son, but is willing to because he needs the money to settle his P2.2 billion tax obligation with the Philippine government.
It is a complete turnaround from the father's statement last week when he confirmed to a sports Web site the May 2015 bout, but admitted the only reason why his son agreed to the fight is to please the fans and the big guaranteed purse.
Although there is no official confirmation from both camps of the May event, Mayweather has hinted of a big surprise in May, while UAE Prince Amir Shafipour had said that he has gotten the blessing of the UAE royal family to negotiate with the camp of the two boxers to have the match in Dubai. The dream match reportedly revolves around the amount of $300 million, which could mean both boxers would likely be offered guaranteed purse higher than the $40 million that Mayweather got for his May 3 fight against Maidana.
Mayweather senior told Ropes Boxing Radio, "Let me say this right here, Pacquiao runs his damn mouth all the time, talking [expletive] - at least Freddie Roach do. Freddie 'The Joke Coach' Roach, he runs his mouth. I don't think it's Pacquiao that much. Pacquiao, I know he really don't want to fight."
He added, "Pacquiao fights now because Pacquiao needs money and what Pacquiao's got to understand is, he can't believe people like Freddie 'The Joke Coach' Roach and that's where the joke is coming from right now. His money's being got and he don't [expletive] even see it, that's the joke right there."
Some boxing experts, however, believe that it is Mayweather who has made excuses not to fight Pacquiao to preserve his 0 loss record, noting that he only picks boxers whom he believes he could easily beat.
The elder Mayweather actually disses not just Pacquiao but all the other boxers to make his son look like the greatest boxer of all times.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’