Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
By Mark Wayne Eubank | July 23, 2014 4:14 AM EST
FC Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi has reportedly considered moving to Arsenal after suffering from a trophy-less 2013/14 season at the Nou Camp.
FC Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi reportedly considered moving to Arsenal
Barca's efforts only landed them bridemaid finishes in the La Liga and the Copa del Rey, while getting booted out of the Champions League relatively early, when eventual second-placers Atletico Madrid bettered them with a 2-1 aggregate win.
Sources in Spain claim that the Argentine international, who was supposed join the Gunners as a youth before opting to hone his skills at the famed La Masia, was open to the idea of joining former teammate Cesc Fabregas to north London before the latter made a move to Chelsea, which effectively reduced the said possibility to nil.
It was further suggested that the 27-year-old Rosario native instructed his agent to communicate with the Club of his intention.
Perhaps, it was just a ploy to convince the hierarchy of the Catalan outfit to offer him an improved deal, which eventually happened, as Messi penned a £16million per annum contract that will run in the next four years.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr On Manny Pacquiao: 'He Must Know He's Not Going To Win
- For Mayweather, The Prize Comes First, Not The Fans
- Serena Williams On Caroline Wozniacki’s Friendship:’I Have Had A Love For Caroline From The Day I Met Her’
- NBA Trade Discussions ‘Tremendous’; 10 Teams Including Rockets, Clippers and Hornets Active For Probable Deals—NBA Insider
- Boxing News: WBC Announces Mandatory Fights For Each Division, WBC President Encourages Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Fight