Liverpool FC News: Reds Skipper Retires from International Football to Focus on Club Duties
By Mark Wayne Eubank | July 22, 2014 11:02 PM EST
Liverpool skipper Steven Gerrard has officially declared that he will no longer represent England, as he shifts his focus to serving his club.
"This has been a very difficult decision, one of the toughest I've had to make in my career," said the 34-year-old.
“I have agonised over this since coming back from Brazil and have spoken to family, friends and people close to me in the game before coming to this point.” - Steven Gerrard
"I have agonised over this since coming back from Brazil and have spoken to family, friends and people close to me in the game before coming to this point."
"Most importantly, Brendan [Rodgers, Liverpool manager] has been fantastic and obviously I have to look after my body as much as possible to ensure I can give everything when I take to the field."
"To ensure I can keep playing to a high level and giving everything to Liverpool Football Club I believe this is the right decision, and having Champions League football back at Anfield is another big factor in my decision."
Gerrard came through the youth ranks at Liverpool and has been with the senior side since 1998, intending to give all of what's left of him to the institution that's closest to his heart.
Meanwhile, he has been with the Three Lions since 2000, captaining them 38 times in 114 caps.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Rafael Nadal To Kick Off 2015 Season At The Mubadala World Tennis Championship, Undergoes Knee Treatment Prior Appendectomy
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2