Evan Turner Signs with Boston Celtics
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 22, 2014 10:02 PM EST
It’s not a superstar signing but the Boston Celtics are doing enough in the 2014 offseason to acquire some talent in a roster that placed 4th worst in the Eastern Conference and 6th worst overall in the entire NBA.
NBA: Playoffs-Atlanta Hawks at Indiana Pacers
The Celtics, which finished with a 25-57 win-loss record in the 2013-2014 NBA regular season, snatched Evan Turner in free agency signing him a short-term contract that is reportedly worth a part of the midlevel exception (MLE), according to the Boston Globe.
“Boston has always been at the very top of our list since the process began,” said David Falk, Turner’s agent in the same article. “Evan is very excited to play for [Celtics] coach [Brad] Stevens.”
Turner had a disappointing stint with the Indiana Pacers, which acquired him in a trade with the Philadelphia 76ers, the team that drafted him the second overall pick in the 2010 NBA Draft.
The 25-year-old wingman actually had great numbers with the Sixers averaging 17.4 points, 6.0 rebounds and 3.7 assists in 54 games before being dealt to the Pacers.
However, he was exposed in Indiana as he struggled to get playing time (21.1 minutes per game) and his numbers dropped to 7.1 PPG, 3.2 RPG and 2.4 APG. His postseason numbers look even awful with 3.3 PPG, 2.2 RPG and 1.6 APG in just 12.4 MPG.
While Turner’s contract is relatively a bargain, there are doubts on how he’ll fit with the team. The Celtics are loaded at the point guard spot with Rajon Rondo, Avery Bradley and Marcus Smart and the last two are expected to play some shooting guard throughout the season.
Still, Turner will get his playing time for a rebuilding team like the Celtics. Just entering his fifth year in the league, this is his opportunity to prove that he is a legit contributor in the NBA.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS