Jeremy Lin Seeks Respect From Lakers Star Kobe Bryant
By Lou Imperial | July 22, 2014 9:56 PM EST
Jeremy Lin has already expressed his desire for a bigger role with the Los Angeles Lakers. Now, the former Harvard standout seeks respect from arguably the franchise's greatest player ever - Kobe Bryant.
Reuters/ Andrew Richa
Apr 30, 2014; Houston, TX, USA; Houston Rockets guard Jeremy Lin (7) reacts to a play during the second quarter against the Portland Trail Blazers in game five of the first round of the 2014 NBA Playoffs at Toyota Center.
Lin, who was traded by the Houston Rockets to the Lakers for salary relief this offseason, is excited to begin a new chapter of his professional basketball career with the purple-and-gold franchise.
In an interview with the Taiwanese Press, the 25-year old Lin said he's looking forward for a bigger role with the Lakers and wishes to gain some respect from Bryant, who is known for tremendous drive to win each games and insane worth ethic.
"Kobe wants to win and I want to win. I think Kobe wants his teammates to train hard and I will train hard. I hope he can respect me and we can collaborate well together," Lin told a press conference via Yahoo Sports.
The Asian-American star produced 12.5 points, 4.1 assists and 2.6 rebounds in 28 minutes a game in a backup role for the Rockets last season. Prior to his stint in Houston, Lin became a transcending star in New York after he came out of nowhere to save the Knickerbockers from early elimination in 2012.
Playing without Carmelo Anthony and Amar'e Stoudemire, Lin stepped up his game big time as he averaged roughly 20 points and 8 dimes per game during that remarkable stretch. Thus, Linsanity was born in the Big Apple.
On Lakers' Expectation
There are reports that Lin's value is nothing but an expiring contract in Los Angeles, as the Lakers still seek the service of free-agent point guard Eric Bledsoe. Then again, all of the rumblings remain irrelevant until the deal happens.
Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchack has high hope on Lin, whom he believed will immediately contribute for the Lakers' campaign next season. Despite being relegated to the bench, Lin sported a better field goal percentage (44.6 percent) and clipping from beyond the arc (35.8 percent) last year. Scouts also like Lin's ability to play both guard position solidly as a playmaker and an off-guard scorer.
The Lakers reloaded their lineup this year by adding Lin (trade), Carlos Boozer (silent bidding) and Ed Davis (free-agency). Unfortunately, they lost All-Star big man Pau Gasol who decided to join the Chicago Bulls this summer.
For more Jeremy Lin news, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Out There To Save His Two Favourite Ladies In Mid-season Finale
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change