Jeremy Lin Seeks Respect From Lakers Star Kobe Bryant
By Lou Imperial | July 22, 2014 9:56 PM EST
Jeremy Lin has already expressed his desire for a bigger role with the Los Angeles Lakers. Now, the former Harvard standout seeks respect from arguably the franchise's greatest player ever - Kobe Bryant.
Reuters/ Andrew Richa
Apr 30, 2014; Houston, TX, USA; Houston Rockets guard Jeremy Lin (7) reacts to a play during the second quarter against the Portland Trail Blazers in game five of the first round of the 2014 NBA Playoffs at Toyota Center.
Lin, who was traded by the Houston Rockets to the Lakers for salary relief this offseason, is excited to begin a new chapter of his professional basketball career with the purple-and-gold franchise.
In an interview with the Taiwanese Press, the 25-year old Lin said he's looking forward for a bigger role with the Lakers and wishes to gain some respect from Bryant, who is known for tremendous drive to win each games and insane worth ethic.
"Kobe wants to win and I want to win. I think Kobe wants his teammates to train hard and I will train hard. I hope he can respect me and we can collaborate well together," Lin told a press conference via Yahoo Sports.
The Asian-American star produced 12.5 points, 4.1 assists and 2.6 rebounds in 28 minutes a game in a backup role for the Rockets last season. Prior to his stint in Houston, Lin became a transcending star in New York after he came out of nowhere to save the Knickerbockers from early elimination in 2012.
Playing without Carmelo Anthony and Amar'e Stoudemire, Lin stepped up his game big time as he averaged roughly 20 points and 8 dimes per game during that remarkable stretch. Thus, Linsanity was born in the Big Apple.
On Lakers' Expectation
There are reports that Lin's value is nothing but an expiring contract in Los Angeles, as the Lakers still seek the service of free-agent point guard Eric Bledsoe. Then again, all of the rumblings remain irrelevant until the deal happens.
Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchack has high hope on Lin, whom he believed will immediately contribute for the Lakers' campaign next season. Despite being relegated to the bench, Lin sported a better field goal percentage (44.6 percent) and clipping from beyond the arc (35.8 percent) last year. Scouts also like Lin's ability to play both guard position solidly as a playmaker and an off-guard scorer.
The Lakers reloaded their lineup this year by adding Lin (trade), Carlos Boozer (silent bidding) and Ed Davis (free-agency). Unfortunately, they lost All-Star big man Pau Gasol who decided to join the Chicago Bulls this summer.
For more Jeremy Lin news, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- G20 Summit in Nov: No Consensus to Bar Russia, Putin Open to Attend in Australia