Josh Smith to Stay with the Detroit Pistons
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 22, 2014 8:09 PM EST
Josh Smith has been assured by his coach/general manager Stan Van Gundy that he will remain with the Detroit Pistons. So rather than worry about the trade talks, the veteran forward can now take care of mending his broken jumpshot.
Yahoo Sports’ Adrian Wojnarowski reported the development via Twitter:
Yahoo Sources: Stan Van Gundy reached out to Josh Smith, telling him where he stands with the Detroit Pistons. http://t.co/mCUotk3psz
— Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) July 21, 2014
In the accompanying article, Wojnarowski mentioned that according to Yahoo sources, SVG assured the 28-year-old forward that the rumours of a Sacramento-Detroit probable trade were “inaccurate” and that Detroit will start training camp with Smith in the line-up.
Entering his 11th season in the NBA, Smith is coming off averages of 16.4 points, 6.9 rebounds, 3.3 assits, 1.4 steals and 1.4 blocked shots per game. The rebounding numbers are down from previous seasons (with the Atlanta Hawks) but his shooting percentage is more worrisome as he shot just 41.95 from the field and an even more atrocious clip from behind the arc at 29.45.
Van Gundy, one of the few coach-GMs in the league, acquired shooter Jodie Meeks and veteran Caron Butler in free agency earlier in the offseason. The franchise is moving forward with a very similar line-up from last season when they finished with an embarrassing 28-53 record.
One key player still not sure of returning is center Greg Monroe, who has yet to be signed as a free agent.
Smith’s return will put some semblance of order in the Detroit camp. Even if Monroe is not signed, the Pistons will have a forward rotation of Smith and promising forward Andre Drummond plus a ragtag crew from the backcourt consisting of Brandon Jennings, Kyle Singler a Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and new acquisitions like Butler, Meeks and D.J. Augustin.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related