Josh Smith to Stay with the Detroit Pistons
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 22, 2014 8:09 PM EST
Josh Smith has been assured by his coach/general manager Stan Van Gundy that he will remain with the Detroit Pistons. So rather than worry about the trade talks, the veteran forward can now take care of mending his broken jumpshot.
Yahoo Sports’ Adrian Wojnarowski reported the development via Twitter:
Yahoo Sources: Stan Van Gundy reached out to Josh Smith, telling him where he stands with the Detroit Pistons. http://t.co/mCUotk3psz
— Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) July 21, 2014
In the accompanying article, Wojnarowski mentioned that according to Yahoo sources, SVG assured the 28-year-old forward that the rumours of a Sacramento-Detroit probable trade were “inaccurate” and that Detroit will start training camp with Smith in the line-up.
Entering his 11th season in the NBA, Smith is coming off averages of 16.4 points, 6.9 rebounds, 3.3 assits, 1.4 steals and 1.4 blocked shots per game. The rebounding numbers are down from previous seasons (with the Atlanta Hawks) but his shooting percentage is more worrisome as he shot just 41.95 from the field and an even more atrocious clip from behind the arc at 29.45.
Van Gundy, one of the few coach-GMs in the league, acquired shooter Jodie Meeks and veteran Caron Butler in free agency earlier in the offseason. The franchise is moving forward with a very similar line-up from last season when they finished with an embarrassing 28-53 record.
One key player still not sure of returning is center Greg Monroe, who has yet to be signed as a free agent.
Smith’s return will put some semblance of order in the Detroit camp. Even if Monroe is not signed, the Pistons will have a forward rotation of Smith and promising forward Andre Drummond plus a ragtag crew from the backcourt consisting of Brandon Jennings, Kyle Singler a Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and new acquisitions like Butler, Meeks and D.J. Augustin.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates