Josh Smith to Stay with the Detroit Pistons
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 22, 2014 8:09 PM EST
Josh Smith has been assured by his coach/general manager Stan Van Gundy that he will remain with the Detroit Pistons. So rather than worry about the trade talks, the veteran forward can now take care of mending his broken jumpshot.
Yahoo Sports’ Adrian Wojnarowski reported the development via Twitter:
Yahoo Sources: Stan Van Gundy reached out to Josh Smith, telling him where he stands with the Detroit Pistons. http://t.co/mCUotk3psz
— Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) July 21, 2014
In the accompanying article, Wojnarowski mentioned that according to Yahoo sources, SVG assured the 28-year-old forward that the rumours of a Sacramento-Detroit probable trade were “inaccurate” and that Detroit will start training camp with Smith in the line-up.
Entering his 11th season in the NBA, Smith is coming off averages of 16.4 points, 6.9 rebounds, 3.3 assits, 1.4 steals and 1.4 blocked shots per game. The rebounding numbers are down from previous seasons (with the Atlanta Hawks) but his shooting percentage is more worrisome as he shot just 41.95 from the field and an even more atrocious clip from behind the arc at 29.45.
Van Gundy, one of the few coach-GMs in the league, acquired shooter Jodie Meeks and veteran Caron Butler in free agency earlier in the offseason. The franchise is moving forward with a very similar line-up from last season when they finished with an embarrassing 28-53 record.
One key player still not sure of returning is center Greg Monroe, who has yet to be signed as a free agent.
Smith’s return will put some semblance of order in the Detroit camp. Even if Monroe is not signed, the Pistons will have a forward rotation of Smith and promising forward Andre Drummond plus a ragtag crew from the backcourt consisting of Brandon Jennings, Kyle Singler a Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and new acquisitions like Butler, Meeks and D.J. Augustin.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon