Kevin Love To Cleveland Cavaliers Still Alive; Andrew Wiggins’ Rookie Deal Makes Trade Easier
By Lou Imperial | July 22, 2014 7:58 PM EST
All-Star power forward Kevin Love will ultimately wind up with the Cleveland Cavaliers, despite the signing of Andrew Wiggins to a rookie deal last Sunday, according to renowned ESPN NBA insider Marc Stein.
Jun 26, 2014; Brooklyn, NY, USA; Andrew Wiggins (Kansas) walks off the stage after being selected as the number one overall pick to the Cleveland Cavaliers in the 2014 NBA Draft at the Barclays Center.
Stein, who has been working as an NBA insider for various publications, is confident the Cavaliers will get Love in a blockbuster trade before the season starts. He still believed Andrew Wiggins will be included in the trade package along with Anthony Bennett and first round pick in 2015 for the double-double machine.
Many basketball fans thought the Love-to-Cavs trade ended when the wine-and-gold signed Wiggins to a rookie contract worth roughly $5.5 million. However, Stein insisted that Wiggins' signing only limited the Cavs from trading him within 30-days. In fact, the deal made a trade easier for Cleveland because he has now a contract value.
"Expectation is Andrew Wiggins, the no.1 overall pick, is going to sign his rookie deal in the next few days." Stein said in his report. "Once the Cavs signed him, they will have to wait 30 days before they trade him."
"But once he signed, he has a contract value of $5 million to $6 million. It makes the trade easier to construct. And that is one of the thing Cleveland resting on here. Do you sign Wiggins now or try to put a different trade together where you don't have to wait for 30 days but then he has no salary value."
Stein added that the Timberwolves would ultimately find it hard to ignore such a package that includes two first overall picks and a first-rounder next year. The analyst said LeBron James' preference to win now than wait Wiggins to develop could force the Cavs management to pull off this deal despite the tremendous upside of the rookie.
Golden State Warriors Could Snatch
Other than the Cavaliers, the Golden State Warriors are the only team that could snatch Love from the Timberwolves. Stein believed it can be done by including Klay Thompson to the trade package that also includes David Lee and a handful of draft picks.
Thompson's agent, Billy Duffy, is reportedly seeking max contract extension from the Warriors. The 24-year old Thompson averaged 18.4 points, 3.1 rebounds and 2.1 assists last season for Golden State, making one of the team's best offensive weapons alongside point guard Stephen Curry.
For more NBA trade news and rumors, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Fight Won't Happen As Long As Bob Arum Is Involved, Says Pacquiao's Former Conditioning Coach
- WWE News: CM Punk Merchandise Pulled From Stands, Punk Chasing Royalties For WWE 2K15 Inclusion [VIDEO]
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Better Performing Display and Best Overall Screen
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4