Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
By Lou Imperial | July 22, 2014 7:37 PM EST
Roger Federer fought a good fight when he lost to Novak Djokovic in fifth set of their epic Wimbledon Open finals few weeks ago. And for Boris Becker, the Swiss Master's effort was enough proof that he's the greatest tennis player of all time.
Roger Federer of Switzerland blows kisses after being defeated by Novak Djokovic of Serbia in their men's singles finals tennis match on Centre Court at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships in London July 6, 2014. REUTERS/Suzanne Plunkett
Becker, who serves as the tennis coach for Djokovic, believed Federer doesn't need a title or break another record for him to validate his status as the finest tennis player in history. He believed that his comeback in the fourth set of that furious finals match with Djokovic proved that greatness is in the Swiss genetic makeup.
"Roger Federer has already won Wimbledon 7 times and has been World No.1 for a very long time. He didn't really need another title, he is the greatest of all time," Becker said when pressed about Federer's performance against his ward via Tennis Tonic.
The 46-year old Becker expressed his great respect towards Federer, admiring the Swiss' desire to win every match and his status as a great ambassador for the sport.
Federer on Mission
Federer has been playing better tennis than he had all last year, when back problems and inconsistency dropped him a level lower than his Big Four compatriots Djokovic, Andy Murray, and Rafael Nadal.
Though he hasn't won a Grand Slam title in two years, Federer showed that he's on a brink of reclaiming his old glory in majors tournament as he proved throughout his inspiring Wimbledon Open campaign.
Federer enters the American hard-court season with lots optimism, as he embarks to another series of battles with the best netters in the world at the Rogers Cup, Cincinnati Masters and the US Open championship.
The 32-year old Federer looks to end his six-year drought in Flushing Meadows after winning his US Open championship crown in 2008. Trying to spoil the fun would be the usual suspects: Nadal, Djokovic and Murray. However, the emergence of up-and-coming youngsters such as Nick Kyrgios and Milos Raonic could make the road to the crown even tougher.
Meanwhile, Forbes Magazine ranked Federer along with top golfer Tiger Woods as the most financially valuable athletes in the world. Federer and Woods, who are close friends, each earned $46 million last year to share the top spot on the list.
For more Roger Federer news, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- Iggy Azalea Sex Tape: The Story So Far
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone