Djokovic, Nadal Confirmed for 2015 Abu Dhabi Mubadala Championship
By Dana Alyssa Ramos | July 22, 2014 7:12 PM EST
Top-ranked tennis players Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal confirmed participation for the 2015 Abu Dhabi Mubadala Tennis Championship.
Rafael Nadal of Spain reacts after defeating Lukas Rosol of the Czech Republic in their men's singles tennis match at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London June 26, 2014.
Djokovic, the current world number one who made his debut in Abu Dhabi in 2011 will make his fourth consecutive appearance at the six-man, season-opening event, where he never lost a match before. He completed the hat-trick of titles in Mubadala after defeating David Ferrer (2011 and 2013) and Nicolas Almagro (2012.)
"Abu Dhabi has always been very good to me and of course I was keen to return and defend my title. The tournament draws the world's top players and it is crucial for us to keep pushing and testing ourselves against each other, especially at the start of a new season," the Serbian said via 7daysindubai.com.
On the other hand, Nadal, the 2014 French Open champion will make his sixth consecutive appearance at the 2015 Abu Dhabi Mubadala Tennis Championship, which offers a $250,000 to the champion. The Spaniard, who is the current world number two has not lifted the Dubai trophy since winning twice in 2010 (January and December).
Meanwhile, Nadal and Djokovic are the favourties to win the 2014 US Open. Although Djokovic has recently won in Wimbledon 2014, Nadal is the defending US Open champion.
Roger Federer, Andy Murray, Lleyton Hewitt, Juan Martin del Potro, Sam Querrey and John Isner are among the popular names who will receive direct entry to the hard-court Grand Slam tournament.
Nadal is expected to defend his title in the tournament, which starts on August 25 in New York, while Djokovic will aim for his second title overall at Flushing Meadows after winning in 2011. The latter has appeared in three straight finals at the US Open in the last three years.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories