Djokovic, Nadal Confirmed for 2015 Abu Dhabi Mubadala Championship
By Dana Alyssa Ramos | July 22, 2014 7:12 PM EST
Top-ranked tennis players Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal confirmed participation for the 2015 Abu Dhabi Mubadala Tennis Championship.
Rafael Nadal of Spain reacts after defeating Lukas Rosol of the Czech Republic in their men's singles tennis match at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London June 26, 2014.
Djokovic, the current world number one who made his debut in Abu Dhabi in 2011 will make his fourth consecutive appearance at the six-man, season-opening event, where he never lost a match before. He completed the hat-trick of titles in Mubadala after defeating David Ferrer (2011 and 2013) and Nicolas Almagro (2012.)
"Abu Dhabi has always been very good to me and of course I was keen to return and defend my title. The tournament draws the world's top players and it is crucial for us to keep pushing and testing ourselves against each other, especially at the start of a new season," the Serbian said via 7daysindubai.com.
On the other hand, Nadal, the 2014 French Open champion will make his sixth consecutive appearance at the 2015 Abu Dhabi Mubadala Tennis Championship, which offers a $250,000 to the champion. The Spaniard, who is the current world number two has not lifted the Dubai trophy since winning twice in 2010 (January and December).
Meanwhile, Nadal and Djokovic are the favourties to win the 2014 US Open. Although Djokovic has recently won in Wimbledon 2014, Nadal is the defending US Open champion.
Roger Federer, Andy Murray, Lleyton Hewitt, Juan Martin del Potro, Sam Querrey and John Isner are among the popular names who will receive direct entry to the hard-court Grand Slam tournament.
Nadal is expected to defend his title in the tournament, which starts on August 25 in New York, while Djokovic will aim for his second title overall at Flushing Meadows after winning in 2011. The latter has appeared in three straight finals at the US Open in the last three years.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Final: USA Vs. Serbia Live Streaming Info, Key Players And Preview
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Manchester United News: Man Utd. vs QPR Preview
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Reports Indicate Mayweather Has 2 Girlfriends: Bad Medina & Liza Hernandez
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date