Manny Pacquiao in Dangerous Territory vs. Chris Algieri – Freddie Roach
By Lou Imperial | July 22, 2014 6:26 PM EST
Pound-for-pound star Manny Pacquiao will be stepping into the ring as the favourite against Chris Algieri, but Hall of Fame trainer Freddie Roach won't be underestimating the American pugilist by any measure.
Apr 12, 2014; Las Vegas, NV, USA; Manny Pacquiao celebrates his victory over Timothy Bradley (not pictured) after their WBO World Welterweight Title bout at MGM Grand Garden Arena. Pacquiao won via unanimous decision. Mandatory Credit: Joe Camporeale-USA TODAY Sports
Fresh from a unanimous decision win over Timothy Bradley to reclaim the WBO Welterweight belt last April, Pacquiao is off to a dominant year of boxing with an unheralded Algieri coming in as his next challenger.
Algieri (20-0, 8 KOs) took the boxing world by storm after pulling off an upset win against heavy favorite Ruslan Provodnikov in their WBO light welterweight title clash last June 14. The match saw the 30-year old Algieri hitting the canvass twice in the first round, before holding his own through 12 furious rounds, using his technical boxing skills and footwork.
Many thought Provodnikov landed more clear shots to retain the title, but Algieri stunned everybody in the arena after judges gave him the split decision win to claim his first ever world championship crown.
Apparently, his victory against the Siberian Rocky proved to be just enough for him to earn the biggest paycheck of his career (at $1 million) when he faces former pound-for-pound champ and eight-division world champion Manny Pacquiao on November 23 at Venetian Macao in Macau, China.
As expected, many boxing fans and analysts heavily criticized Top-Rank's decision to pit Pacquiao against Algieri, who hasn't commanded a strong fan base yet. Then again, veteran ring promoter Bob Arum believed Algieri's technical style will fit beautifully against Pacquiao's rugged boxing approach.
Roach, meanwhile, agreed that the American fighter is no easy opponent for Pacquiao, who has been busy in his attempt to become the first ever Filipino to make a crossover from boxing to professional basketball.
"He fought Ruslan and won. Algieri is undefeated [20-0, 8 KOs] and he's got a good record," Roach said in an interview with South China Morning Post. "He's in good shape. It's not going to be an easy fight."
The 35-year old Pacquiao will pocket a guaranteed fight purse of not less than $20 million in the showdown, but he will nevertheless put a stake his WBO Welterweight crown and potentially a shot at Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Mayweather Jr. is set to face Marcos Maidana in a rematch on September 13. Many pundits believed Pacquiao and Mayweather could be on a collision course if they managed to beat their respective opponents.
For more Manny Pacquiao news, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Manny Pacquiao Calls Out On Floyd Mayweather Jr. Again After Unbeaten Boxer Mocks Him With His KO Video
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Marussia Formula One Team Keeps Its Promise To Injured Driver
- Phil Hughes No More: Australian Batsman Dies at 25
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast