NFL News: Buffalo Bills Place DT Marcell Dareus on Non-Football Injury List
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 22, 2014 6:19 PM EST
Defensive tackle Marcell Dareus of the Buffalo Bills will be placed on the non-football injury list as he enter the National Footbal League's substance abuse program, his attorney bared Monday. The said move is seen as a way to evade and dismiss the felony charges against the Bills player.
Yahoo! Sports reports that the 2011 first round draft pick was permitted to enter the drug program during a hearing at Calhoun County Court in Alabama. To be able to attend the hearing, he was permitted by his mother team to miss training camp at New York. The felony and drug charges stems from a May 5 incident wherein Dareus was arrested due to possession of drug paraphernalia and controlled substances.
He was also recently involved in another controversy when he slammed his 2012 Jaguar into a tree near the intersection from the Ralph Wilson Stadium. He was reportedly racing with his teammate Jerry Hughes that caused the accident. His participation in the accident also earned him another charge of reckless endangerment and drag racing.
Notwithstanding the recent events, Giddens has vouched for Dareus's character describing him as a "humble, gentle giant of a young man, who needs some mentors."
If he successfully finishes the drug program, the charges lodged against him may be potentially dismissed and will mark a turnaround for the troubled but gifted athlete. However, the speeding accident and the charges shall still stick given that the said case was not resolved earlier in the month after a plea was not accepted. The court and his side will try to resolve the matter on September 9.
Apart from the off-court issues that he is hurdling, he must also pass certain NFL and team standards. Last Friday, Dareus was placed on the active/non-football injury related list after not meeting conditioning tests. He is also potentially looking at some hefty fines and disciplinary actions from the NFL, which is still reviewing his case.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- WWE Update: Bray Wyatt’s Twitter Post Hints Upcoming Fight With Sting [VIDEO]
- Rafael Nadal Gives Li Na Flowers, A Teary Farewell At Beijing China Open
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks