NFL News: Buffalo Bills Place DT Marcell Dareus on Non-Football Injury List
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 22, 2014 6:19 PM EST
Defensive tackle Marcell Dareus of the Buffalo Bills will be placed on the non-football injury list as he enter the National Footbal League's substance abuse program, his attorney bared Monday. The said move is seen as a way to evade and dismiss the felony charges against the Bills player.
Yahoo! Sports reports that the 2011 first round draft pick was permitted to enter the drug program during a hearing at Calhoun County Court in Alabama. To be able to attend the hearing, he was permitted by his mother team to miss training camp at New York. The felony and drug charges stems from a May 5 incident wherein Dareus was arrested due to possession of drug paraphernalia and controlled substances.
He was also recently involved in another controversy when he slammed his 2012 Jaguar into a tree near the intersection from the Ralph Wilson Stadium. He was reportedly racing with his teammate Jerry Hughes that caused the accident. His participation in the accident also earned him another charge of reckless endangerment and drag racing.
Notwithstanding the recent events, Giddens has vouched for Dareus's character describing him as a "humble, gentle giant of a young man, who needs some mentors."
If he successfully finishes the drug program, the charges lodged against him may be potentially dismissed and will mark a turnaround for the troubled but gifted athlete. However, the speeding accident and the charges shall still stick given that the said case was not resolved earlier in the month after a plea was not accepted. The court and his side will try to resolve the matter on September 9.
Apart from the off-court issues that he is hurdling, he must also pass certain NFL and team standards. Last Friday, Dareus was placed on the active/non-football injury related list after not meeting conditioning tests. He is also potentially looking at some hefty fines and disciplinary actions from the NFL, which is still reviewing his case.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet
- HTC Desire 820 (Octa-Core) vs. Sony Xperia Z3 Compact – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown