NFL News: Buffalo Bills Place DT Marcell Dareus on Non-Football Injury List
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 22, 2014 6:19 PM EST
Defensive tackle Marcell Dareus of the Buffalo Bills will be placed on the non-football injury list as he enter the National Footbal League's substance abuse program, his attorney bared Monday. The said move is seen as a way to evade and dismiss the felony charges against the Bills player.
Yahoo! Sports reports that the 2011 first round draft pick was permitted to enter the drug program during a hearing at Calhoun County Court in Alabama. To be able to attend the hearing, he was permitted by his mother team to miss training camp at New York. The felony and drug charges stems from a May 5 incident wherein Dareus was arrested due to possession of drug paraphernalia and controlled substances.
He was also recently involved in another controversy when he slammed his 2012 Jaguar into a tree near the intersection from the Ralph Wilson Stadium. He was reportedly racing with his teammate Jerry Hughes that caused the accident. His participation in the accident also earned him another charge of reckless endangerment and drag racing.
Notwithstanding the recent events, Giddens has vouched for Dareus's character describing him as a "humble, gentle giant of a young man, who needs some mentors."
If he successfully finishes the drug program, the charges lodged against him may be potentially dismissed and will mark a turnaround for the troubled but gifted athlete. However, the speeding accident and the charges shall still stick given that the said case was not resolved earlier in the month after a plea was not accepted. The court and his side will try to resolve the matter on September 9.
Apart from the off-court issues that he is hurdling, he must also pass certain NFL and team standards. Last Friday, Dareus was placed on the active/non-football injury related list after not meeting conditioning tests. He is also potentially looking at some hefty fines and disciplinary actions from the NFL, which is still reviewing his case.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier