Scandal Season 4 Spoilers: Premiere Date, Abby’s Season but Olivia Centric Storytelling in New Season
By Anshu Shrivastava | July 22, 2014 6:16 PM EST
ABC has announced that "Scandal" is returning on September 25, with Season 4. The premiere episode of the new season is likely to open with a time jump, revealing the new location of Olivia Pope.
Actress Kerry Washington poses at the Women In Film Los Angeles 2014 Crystal + Lucy Awards in Century City, California June 11, 2014.
"I don't like the phrase time jump. We come back in a different place. I guess it's a time jump; it's not that big," Shonda Rhimes, creator of the show, said when The Hollywood Reporter (THR) asked her whether there is a time jump. She also indicated that the Season 4 of "Scandal" will go back to "Olivia-centric" storytelling. It was because of Kerry Washington's real life pregnancy that the centre of focus was not completely on Olivia in Season 3.
However in an interview with TV Guide, Rhimes said that Season 4 is going to be Abby's season. She said, "A lot of what we know about Abby happens this season. A lot of what we discover about her and see about her back story will happen as we tell Abby's story."
The Season 3 ended with Olivia boarding a plane to take-off to an undisclosed location, as she held herself responsible for the death of Fitz's son and everything that was happening around her. Jake was onboard, as well. There is much speculation about where the plane is expected to land.
Without revealing anything about Olivia's new location, Rhimes said to TV Guide: "When we come back into the season, we find ourselves is a surprising place both time-wise and location-wise."
Speaking about Jake, Olivia and Fitz's triangle relationship, Rhimes said that Olivia made it clear to Jake in Season 3 finale that she loved Fitz, and Jake still decided to follow Olivia. Rhimes said to TV Guide, "So, whatever that relationship [Jake and Olivia] is, as fun or romantic or happy as that will be, she's very clearly in love with another man. I don't know what that holds for them. They have to face whatever that's going to mean."
Rhimes has confirmed that Columbus Short is not returning in the new season. And, it can be assumed that Short's character Harrison Wright is dead. Rhimes revealed to THR that every gladiator will be impacted by Harrison's death, especially Olivia. Abby is the character to watch out in the new episodes of "Scandal." Rhimes said to THR, "It will be very devastating for Abby in a surprising way. You'll see how she's coping with it in a very different way than you would expect."
Rhimes also revealed to TV Guide that viewers will get to see more of Rowan Pope in the upcoming, new season.
"The world we are coming back to will be forever changed and forever different, and that is going to be very interesting," Rhimes said to THR.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Shocking Inside Stories Of Prince Charles and Princess Diana Revealed By Former Press Officer
- Another Celebrity Nude Photo Leak: Naked Pics Of Liam Payne And Kim Kardashian Uploaded Online
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Spoilers: Queen Elsa Of 'Frozen' May Not Be The Big Villain (Premiere Date In A Week's Time)
- Madonna Posts Video Of Son Hailed As Possibly The Next Dancing Prodigy
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers For Sept. 22-26, 2014: Consequences Of The Crichton-Clark Blast