NBA Bust Jan Vesely of Czech Republic Moves to European Ballclub Fenerbahce Ulker
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 22, 2014 6:11 PM EST
Jan Vesely of Czech Republic was touted as the next big European player. All hype and no game fit for the NBA, he’s moving on to European ballclub Fenerbahce Ulker based in Istanbul, Turkey.
Lukas Kuba reported the transfer via Twitter:
— Lukas Kuba (@Luke_Mellow) July 19, 2014
The Czech was the sixth overall pick in the 2011 NBA Draft by the Washington Wizards, which traded him to the Denver Nuggets in February 2014. He never got any major playing time for the Wizards and also did not get much chance with the Nuggets.
For the record, other players who were picked lower than Vesely were Brandon Knight (8th pick - Detroit Pistons); Klay Thompson (11th pick - Golden State Warriors); Kawhi Leonard (15th pick - Indiana Pacers); Nikola Vucevic (16th pick - Philadelphia 76ers) and Kenneth Faried (22nd pick - Denver Nuggets) among others.
In his short three-year NBA career, he averaged 3.6 points, 3.5 rebounds in just 15.2 minutes per game. The 24-year-old played a total of 162 games for both Washington and Denver in disappointing NBA career.
This is Vesely’s second European stint with appearances for Geoplin Slovan (Slovenia) in 2007-2008 and Partizan Belgrade (Serbia) from 2008 to 2011.
Born in Ostrava, Czechoslovakia, Vesely will be joiininig a Fenerbahce Ulker squad, which made the Euroleague Top 16 in the 2013-2014 season after winning the Turkish League crown the same year.
Vesely will be joining players like Bogdan Bogdanovic, Andrew Goudelock, Serhat Cetin and Semih Erden among others at the Fenerbahce camp.
For a seven-footer, his speed and mobility was hyped and was compared to Euro veterans Dirk Nowitzki and Andrei Kirilenko entering the draft in 2011. Not only was he slow and a bit stiff, his overall skill set did not translate to the NBA level.
Vesely’s three-year run in the NBA allowed him to earn roughly $8 million.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Evander Holyfield Says That He Didn’t Make Comments About Floyd Mayweather Fighting With Manny Pacquiao
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet