Tennis Champions Maria Sharapova, Serena Williams, and Li Na to Play in a WTA Premier Event in China
By Rachelle Corpuz | July 22, 2014 5:51 PM EST
Tennis champions Maria Sharapova, Serena Williams, and, Li Na are reportedly confirmed participants in the upcoming Women's Tennis Association (WTA) event in China.
Maria Sharapova of Russia kisses the trophy as she poses during the ceremony after defeating Simona Halep of Romania during their women's singles final match to win the French Open tennis tournament at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris June 7, 2014.
The tennis event called Dongfeng Motor Wuhan Open will run for one week from Sept. 21 to Sept. 27. It will be held at the Optics Valley International Tennis Center in Wuhan, which is known as the most heavily populated city in the Asian sovereign state. The tennis arena measures 103,400 square meters. It has a grand stadium that can accommodate 15,000 people, a supplementary building for 5,000 people, and six standard outdoor hard courts.
Wuhan is reportedly the hometown of second-ranked athlete Li and she is elated that she will be able to play in her home turf. Li said in WTA press release that she was very proud that a tennis tournament will be held in the city where she was raised. She added that she was very excited to become a part of a strong line-up of players and just couldn't wait to showcase her footwork, hit volleys, and serve strokes.
According to Sports Illustrated tennis correspondent Courtney Nguyen, the Wuhan Open will take the place and succeed the Tokyo Open as the only Premier 5 tournament in Asia. The Wuhan Open will be one of the biggest WTA tournaments in Asia, in addition to the China Open.
The tournament's prize money is $2,440,070 and 900 points for the champion. It will be held annually during the month of September from 2014 until 2028.
Complete List of Participating Female Tennis Athletes
Carla Suarez Navarro
For more information, check out the tournament's Web site at en.wuhanopen.org.
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier