Tennis Champions Maria Sharapova, Serena Williams, and Li Na to Play in a WTA Premier Event in China
By Rachelle Corpuz | July 22, 2014 5:51 PM EST
Tennis champions Maria Sharapova, Serena Williams, and, Li Na are reportedly confirmed participants in the upcoming Women's Tennis Association (WTA) event in China.
Maria Sharapova of Russia kisses the trophy as she poses during the ceremony after defeating Simona Halep of Romania during their women's singles final match to win the French Open tennis tournament at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris June 7, 2014.
The tennis event called Dongfeng Motor Wuhan Open will run for one week from Sept. 21 to Sept. 27. It will be held at the Optics Valley International Tennis Center in Wuhan, which is known as the most heavily populated city in the Asian sovereign state. The tennis arena measures 103,400 square meters. It has a grand stadium that can accommodate 15,000 people, a supplementary building for 5,000 people, and six standard outdoor hard courts.
Wuhan is reportedly the hometown of second-ranked athlete Li and she is elated that she will be able to play in her home turf. Li said in WTA press release that she was very proud that a tennis tournament will be held in the city where she was raised. She added that she was very excited to become a part of a strong line-up of players and just couldn't wait to showcase her footwork, hit volleys, and serve strokes.
According to Sports Illustrated tennis correspondent Courtney Nguyen, the Wuhan Open will take the place and succeed the Tokyo Open as the only Premier 5 tournament in Asia. The Wuhan Open will be one of the biggest WTA tournaments in Asia, in addition to the China Open.
The tournament's prize money is $2,440,070 and 900 points for the champion. It will be held annually during the month of September from 2014 until 2028.
Complete List of Participating Female Tennis Athletes
Carla Suarez Navarro
For more information, check out the tournament's Web site at en.wuhanopen.org.
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Chelsea FC Injury Update: Diego Costa Fully Fit Ahead Of West Brom Clash, Says Mourinho
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced