Boxing New 2014: Ambitious Chris Algieri Eyes Battling Mayweather After Pacquiao Nov 22 Bout; Thinks He Can KO Pacman
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 22, 2014 4:21 PM EST
Being picked by eight-division title holder Manny Pacquiao to be his opponent on Nov 22 has apparently gone into the head of WBO junior lightweight title holder Chris Algieri. With the prospect of earning 15 times bigger than the $100,000 he got during his last bout against Ruslan Provodnikov, the unbeaten American boxer is setting his eyes on fighting Floyd Mayweather Jr after Pacquiao.
Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines hits undefeated WBO welterweight champion Timothy Bradley of the U.S. with a right during their title fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada April 12, 2014
Such a prospect is, of course, premised on Algieri beating Pacquiao on the ring in Macau. Algieri is so confident of moving up the ladder that he thinks he could even knock out the Filipino southpaw congressman. He told RingTV.com that it is not an impossible scenario since Pacquiao has a 3 KO record.
Algieri believes he has an advantage over Pacquiao in terms of size, skills and age since he is only 30, while Pacquiao is 35. However, his fight record is only 20, while Pacquiao's is almost thrice at 56.
But Algieri told Newsday, "I said before the Ruslan fight that he's never fought someone like me - someone who's long, tall, strong and athletic with good boxing skills. Neither has Manny."
Algieri explained, "Manny has a lot of fights and a lot of experience, but the string of guys he's fought over the last five, six, seven, eight years are all the same kind of guys. I do believe my style is a problem for him. And he'll be 36 [in December]. It's tough to learn a new style or to deal with something you're not accustomed to, which I wholeheartedly will bring to the table."
However, Boxingnews24 pointed out that there are two things that could stand in the way of his dream to fight Mayweather.
First, is the rematch clause in his contract in the event that he does wins over Pacquiao, which would lock Algieri into giving the Filipino champion one or two more bouts.
Second, is the possibility that the dream match between Mayweather and Pacquiao could possibly be done in May 2015 in Dubai. Even if reports said that Money May is not too keen on battling Pacman in the ring, the prospect of a huge guaranteed purse plus a percentage of pay-per-view buys is enough reason for Mayweather to set aside his dislike for Top Rank Promotions boss Bob Arum and Pacquiao, whom he recently called a bitch in his recent press conference for the Maidana rematch.
That means if the May dream match would take place, it may lead to the retirement from the ring of whoever loses in the fight. And if that loser turns out to be Mayweather, then Algieri could kiss goodbye his ambition of fighting Money May and earning more than the $1.5 million guaranteed purse on Nov 22.
Mayweather, in case he beats Pacquiao, may also retire after May 2015 and consider that fight his last hurrah since he would be 38 by then.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’