$300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
By Lou Imperial | July 22, 2014 4:16 PM EST
The battle royal between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. might be ticking away, but the boon for the showdown could be too tempting for both fighters to ignore, according to several boxing analysts.
World Boxing Council (WBC) welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. (L) of the U.S. and World Boxing Association (WBA) champion Marcos Maidana of Argentina face off during an official weigh-in at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, May 2, 2014. The two champions will meet in a WBC/WBA unification fight at the arena on May 3. REUTERS/Steve Marcus (UNITED STATES - Tags: SPORT BOXING)
Pacquiao vs. Mayweather has been elusive, a pipe dream for boxing fans after years of failed negotiation between both camps. Without a doubt, the match will be the biggest ever in history, as estimates suggested a whopping $300 million in fight money at stake.
Top-Rank promoter Bob Arum provided two alternatives for the dream fight to finally happen either next year or at the end of his six-fight contract with Showtime Boxing.
'We want to fight him and we're willing to discuss it at any point,' Mayweather said in May via the Daily Mail. 'There are two ways to go here. One is to do a Mayweather fight with both HBO and Showtime involved, as they did with Lewis-Tyson, as I understand Mayweather is under contract to Showtime through 2015. The companies could come together and put on the show.
"Or, the other alternative is, if Floyd wanted to fight Manny in 2016, he could return to HBO and we could do it there."
Mayweather has been adamant to engage in any negotiation with Pacquiao's camp ever since their negotiation crumbled in 2010 because of dispute in fight purse sharing and blood testing mechanics.
The Grand Rapids native also believed that Pacquiao is not anymore in the same level with him because of his losses to Timothy Bradley via split-decision and Juan Manuel Marquez via sixth-round TKO in 2012.
However, the Filipino champ revived his career by dominating Brandon Rios in November of 2013 and reclaiming his WBO Welterweight title with a unanimous decision win over Bradley last April.
Then again, Mayweather dismissed Pacquiao from his list of potential contenders, stressing there's more young and hungry fighters out there more worthy to have a shot at big money and fame.
Several weeks ago, Mayweather revived talks about a showdown with Pacquiao when he hinted on unveiling a big surprise in May of 2015. Many boxing followers believed Money May might finally consider a fight with Pacquiao, because of the magnitude of the money involved.
Mayweather is set to fight again Argentine brawler Marcos Maidana on September 13 after a competitive majority decision win last May, while Pacquiao will test Chris Algieri on November 23.
If both fighters accomplished their assignments, negotiation could start right away for the most lucrative fight in boxing history.
For more Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Mayweather news, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- USA Defeats Lithuania, 96-68; Americans Advance To Championship Round Of 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers