Katy Perry Wants To Star in Clueless Musical While Director Eyes Iggy Azalea
By Christine Jane Caparras | July 22, 2014 4:01 PM EST
Mullti-million record selling artist Katy Perry is said to be pining for a role as Cher in an upcoming musical adaptation of the 90's iconic film "Clueless" which starred Alicia Silverstone.
Singer Katy Perry performs at the BRIT Awards, celebrating British pop music, at the O2 Arena in London February 19, 2014.
The film's writer and director Amy Heckerling has shared with Vulture that Perry has expressed interest in taking on the role of Cher in the upcoming Broadway adaptation but plans are not solid yet. Katy Perry is doing a North American Tour at the moment and is set to embark on the "Prismatic World Tour" which should see her shuttling across the globe for at least several months judging by the way her previous tours went.
Meanwhile, despite Katy Perry's interest in the project, Heckerling drops another pop star's name as she mentions Iggy Azalea and her hit song "Fancy" which has a music video that apparently is loosely based on scenes from the film including the outfits.
"Clueless" was first released in 1995 and quickly gained cult status among the teen population with its light comedic approach to day-to-day high school problems and life issues with family, friends, relationships and the future. Set in Beverly Hills, Cher is a well meaning but spoiled rich kid who is trying to find her own way in the world. She is naïve, funny, experimental and relatable as well as a bit over-the-top in a similar way that today's reality stars are portrayed on screen.
Katy Perry who has sold millions of albums worldwide is keen on expanding her horizons and has recently dipped her toes into new ventures with the successful release of her full-length documentary entitled "Katy Perry: Part of Me" which documented her "California Dreams Tour" worldwide and unwittingly also documented the joys then the eventual strains that her career put upon her marriage to British Comedian Russell Brand. Apart from this, she also launched a new fragrance line this summer called "Royal Revolution."
Perry has been nominated for 11 Grammy Awards and is the first woman to ever achieve having five number one singles from the same album. All this came out of her second album "Teenage Dream." Her debut album came close as well bragging four number one hits.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- 'American Horror Story' : Renewed For Season 5, Ryan Murphy Says 'We're Not Doing Space'
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage