Katy Perry Wants To Star in Clueless Musical While Director Eyes Iggy Azalea
By Christine Jane Caparras | July 22, 2014 4:01 PM EST
Mullti-million record selling artist Katy Perry is said to be pining for a role as Cher in an upcoming musical adaptation of the 90's iconic film "Clueless" which starred Alicia Silverstone.
Singer Katy Perry performs at the BRIT Awards, celebrating British pop music, at the O2 Arena in London February 19, 2014.
The film's writer and director Amy Heckerling has shared with Vulture that Perry has expressed interest in taking on the role of Cher in the upcoming Broadway adaptation but plans are not solid yet. Katy Perry is doing a North American Tour at the moment and is set to embark on the "Prismatic World Tour" which should see her shuttling across the globe for at least several months judging by the way her previous tours went.
Meanwhile, despite Katy Perry's interest in the project, Heckerling drops another pop star's name as she mentions Iggy Azalea and her hit song "Fancy" which has a music video that apparently is loosely based on scenes from the film including the outfits.
"Clueless" was first released in 1995 and quickly gained cult status among the teen population with its light comedic approach to day-to-day high school problems and life issues with family, friends, relationships and the future. Set in Beverly Hills, Cher is a well meaning but spoiled rich kid who is trying to find her own way in the world. She is naïve, funny, experimental and relatable as well as a bit over-the-top in a similar way that today's reality stars are portrayed on screen.
Katy Perry who has sold millions of albums worldwide is keen on expanding her horizons and has recently dipped her toes into new ventures with the successful release of her full-length documentary entitled "Katy Perry: Part of Me" which documented her "California Dreams Tour" worldwide and unwittingly also documented the joys then the eventual strains that her career put upon her marriage to British Comedian Russell Brand. Apart from this, she also launched a new fragrance line this summer called "Royal Revolution."
Perry has been nominated for 11 Grammy Awards and is the first woman to ever achieve having five number one singles from the same album. All this came out of her second album "Teenage Dream." Her debut album came close as well bragging four number one hits.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoilers: Episode 11 On Hold, Return Date, Title And Synopsis Of New Episode
- ‘The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies’ New Images Of Bard And Smaug In Battle
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers – ‘Coda’: Midseason Finale Is ‘Heartbreaking’ And ‘Gut-Wrenching’
- 'Arrow' Season 3 Updates: Oliver Queen And Team Go To Barry Allen's Central City (Spoilers)
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Spoilers: Ramsay Bolton
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report
- Samsung Galaxy S6 Will Shatter Records with 64-Bit Snapdragon, 21MP Camera and Bendable Design
- Lowe's Black Friday 2014 Deals Include Up To 40% Off On Select Major Appliances, Plus Free Shipping For Orders Of $19 Or More
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Best Buy,Target And Amazon Offer Huge Discounts On Tablets Like iPad Air 2, Shield Tablet, Surface Pro 3 And More