Maria Kirilenko, Alex Ovechkin Calls It Quits After Two Years
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 22, 2014 3:52 PM EST
Another power couple has gone separate ways with the announcement of Maria Kirilenko that she has ended her relationship with Alex Ovechkin, her boyfriend of nearly three years.
Maria Kirilenko of Russia pumps her fist during her women's singles tennis match against Sloane Stephens of the U.S. at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London June 23, 2014.
Kirilenko and Ovechkin are the latest couple in sports to break-up just months after Rory McIIrol ended his engagement with former tennis no. 1 ranked Caroline Wozniacki. Trouble was brewing in paradise as the Capitals star was noticably absent during Kirilenko's run at Wimbledon. The tennis star has not also mentioned his boyfriend ina tweet for over a month now. Ovelchkin's conspicuous absence during the Wimbledon where usually carries the bags of Kirilenko, also added fuel to the rumours.
According to sources, the Russian hockey player chose to vacation in Las Vegas for a week-long trip before the NHL awards. He was also spotted in Russia a few weeks ago when he served as judge for Miss Moscow 2014 before heading up to France for some beach fun with family and friends. The Russian scorer has not yet commented on the development.
On Kirilenko's side, Cbssports reports that the Russian tennis player did not go deep into the details of the break-up with the Washington Capitals superstar but on Monday she related her thoughts in a statement given to Tennis Fortuna:
"I have decided to terminate the engagement. Reasons are many, but do not want to go into details. I'll Say one thing: our relationship completed, but I respect [Ovechkin] as a person and athlete and I sincerely wish him continued athletic success. Currently I'm just focused on preparation for the next tournament and I hope that will soon be able to please their fans news, not only about his personal life, but also about his athletic success."
The romance of the two Russian athletes started in 2011 when Kirilenko began attending Capitals games and was visibly photographed in the stands cheering for Ovechkin. Their relationship was officially admitted by the couple and they announced their engagement by the end of 2012. The couple was very visible in sporting events, often appearing side by side during tennis tournaments and in public.
Both players were at the top of their games in the recent years as Kirilenko went as high as the top 10 in the WTA rankings in 2013 but stumbled largely due to a knee injury she suffered at the tail-end of that year. Ovechkin on the other hand is a primary scorer for the Capitals and led his team to the Hart Trophy in 2013. Fans of both players are hoping that this recent development will not impact their performance in their sporting fields.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Camilla Parker-Bowles To Become Queen When Prince Charles Accedes To The Throne
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage