Manly Coach Geoff Toover Denies Rumours of Sea Eagles Player Exodus
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 22, 2014 3:48 PM EST
After finishing second last year, Manly is facing the prospect of blowing the team up.
Internal rift is ripe with rumours that possibly five star players will choose to depart Brookvale amidst tides of turmoil between management and the players. The release of Glenn Stewart has reportedly prompted three other senior players to seek release from the team Brett Stewart, Steve Matai and Anthony Watmough are some of the disgruntled players who are considering walking away from the team.
Manly coach Geoff Toovey was quick to deny the allegations. "I don't get into those things in the public space. We have a tight playing group that has been together for a while and those blokes that are new to the club have brought into that," Toovey said to Rippa.com.
He also quashed rumours that the Sea Eagles players are at odds with each other after reports surfaced that the Parramatta Eels are making moves to sign star halfback Daly Cherry Evans with a $4 million, four-year contract.
The club recently did not make any efforts to retain the services of long time forward Glenn Steward who fled for the Souths. Manly General Manager David Perry did not make an offer to the player and the said decision is putting cracks into the organization.
Aside from Cherry Evans, five-eighth Kieran Foran still has not made a commitment to stay with the club and has made no moves from either side to re-negotiate a deal despite his contract expiring at the end of next year.
Watmough was recently linked with Parramatta given his friendly relations with Eels coach Brad Arthur while Bratt Stewart could don a Redfern jersey and be united with his brother Glenn if he is granted a release. Foran's stature as a player would be in high demand if also seeks to leave the team.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop