Sony Xperia Z Android 4.4.2 KitKat Problems and Solutions: Battery Drain, Slow Performance, Overheating, Sound Bug and SD Card
By Ryan Inoyori | July 22, 2014 3:43 PM EST
Android 4.4.2 KitKat update for Sony Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR and Xperia Tablet Z has been reported to have several issues such as poor battery life, audio bug, overheating, slow performance and memory card restrictions. Know the workarounds and tips to resolve these issues.
Poor Battery Life
1. Google released the Google Play Services version 5.0. Update the version on the Sony Xperia Z by enabling auto-sync and auto-update of the Play Store.
2. Go to Settings > Google (accounts) > Ads > Tick the box for "Opt out of interest-based ads."
3. Disable the backup of data by going to Settings > Backup and reset > Uncheck the box for "Backup my data."
4. Wait for the upcoming Android 4.4.4 KitKat update. Xperia Z1, Xperia Z1 Compact and Xperia Z Ultra already received the new firmware.
Memory Card Restrictions
Android KitKat does not permit "transfer of apps to SD card" unlike with previous Android versions.
1. There are applications at the Play Store which exploits the app transfer from internal storage to SD card. However, it requires root access in order to defy the Android KitKat restrictions.
2. Sony Mobile included the "transfer app to SD card" on Xperia T2 Ultra based on the reports from XperiaBlog regarding its Android KitKat update. Wait for Android 4.4.4 KitKat which may contain such feature.
Some users have reported to XperiaBlog that a sound bug related to the external speaker has been found on Xperia Z1 smartphone. In case the Xperia Z has such problem, try the following workarounds:
1. Disable certain audio engines such as ClearPhase or the equaliser.
2. xLOUD audio engine enhances the loudness of the speaker. Make sure it is active.
3. Double check the volume levels of the speakers by pressing the volume rocker.
4. Check if the messaging app, ringtones and notification tones have alerts with them.
Overheating may occur if the device runs a high-graphical gaming application or running the camera under special modes for long periods.
1. Update the apps, services and the firmware of the smartphone.
2. Use special camera modes such as Timeshift Burst or Motion Shot when needed.
3. Remove the accessories such as cover and casing to let the heat escape.
4. Do not use the device from games and calls when being charged.
5. Remove apps which are consuming too much power and resources that can cause overheating.
Slow performance depends on various factors such as malware infection, low internal storage, too many apps running in the background and conflicting installed apps.
1. Remove recently installed apps before the sluggishness occurred.
2. Check for malware infection and cache files. You may use Clean Master app for easier management.
3. If the internal storage space is low, transfer the files rarely accessed to the microSD card or to a computer.
4. Conflicting apps such as having several camera apps may cause issues that can slowdown the device's performance.
5. Uninstall apps which are not being used anymore to free some memory.
6. Reduce widgets and home screen panes to minimum.
7. Perform a factory reset to refresh the entire system.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- 'World Of Warcraft' ‘The Iron Tide' 6.0.2 Patch Hotfixes Update Including New Resolved Issues Regarding Scenarios, Raids, Classes, Battlegrounds And Arenas
- Sony Xperia Z3 Launched In Japan Has 32 GB Storage Compared To 16 GB International Model
- How To Update LG Nexus 4 To Android 4.4.4 KitKat Using LiquidSmooth Custom ROM
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’