Sony Xperia Z Android 4.4.2 KitKat Problems and Solutions: Battery Drain, Slow Performance, Overheating, Sound Bug and SD Card
By Ryan Inoyori | July 22, 2014 3:43 PM EST
Android 4.4.2 KitKat update for Sony Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR and Xperia Tablet Z has been reported to have several issues such as poor battery life, audio bug, overheating, slow performance and memory card restrictions. Know the workarounds and tips to resolve these issues.
Poor Battery Life
1. Google released the Google Play Services version 5.0. Update the version on the Sony Xperia Z by enabling auto-sync and auto-update of the Play Store.
2. Go to Settings > Google (accounts) > Ads > Tick the box for "Opt out of interest-based ads."
3. Disable the backup of data by going to Settings > Backup and reset > Uncheck the box for "Backup my data."
4. Wait for the upcoming Android 4.4.4 KitKat update. Xperia Z1, Xperia Z1 Compact and Xperia Z Ultra already received the new firmware.
Memory Card Restrictions
Android KitKat does not permit "transfer of apps to SD card" unlike with previous Android versions.
1. There are applications at the Play Store which exploits the app transfer from internal storage to SD card. However, it requires root access in order to defy the Android KitKat restrictions.
2. Sony Mobile included the "transfer app to SD card" on Xperia T2 Ultra based on the reports from XperiaBlog regarding its Android KitKat update. Wait for Android 4.4.4 KitKat which may contain such feature.
Some users have reported to XperiaBlog that a sound bug related to the external speaker has been found on Xperia Z1 smartphone. In case the Xperia Z has such problem, try the following workarounds:
1. Disable certain audio engines such as ClearPhase or the equaliser.
2. xLOUD audio engine enhances the loudness of the speaker. Make sure it is active.
3. Double check the volume levels of the speakers by pressing the volume rocker.
4. Check if the messaging app, ringtones and notification tones have alerts with them.
Overheating may occur if the device runs a high-graphical gaming application or running the camera under special modes for long periods.
1. Update the apps, services and the firmware of the smartphone.
2. Use special camera modes such as Timeshift Burst or Motion Shot when needed.
3. Remove the accessories such as cover and casing to let the heat escape.
4. Do not use the device from games and calls when being charged.
5. Remove apps which are consuming too much power and resources that can cause overheating.
Slow performance depends on various factors such as malware infection, low internal storage, too many apps running in the background and conflicting installed apps.
1. Remove recently installed apps before the sluggishness occurred.
2. Check for malware infection and cache files. You may use Clean Master app for easier management.
3. If the internal storage space is low, transfer the files rarely accessed to the microSD card or to a computer.
4. Conflicting apps such as having several camera apps may cause issues that can slowdown the device's performance.
5. Uninstall apps which are not being used anymore to free some memory.
6. Reduce widgets and home screen panes to minimum.
7. Perform a factory reset to refresh the entire system.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘Halo: Master Chief’ Collection Update Detailed As ‘Halo: Nightfall’ Continues To Roll
- ‘Destiny’ Dev Details Update; New Exotic Weapons Coming And New Speculations On Free Trial
- AT&T Nexus 6 Returned To Motorola Due To Software Bug: Black Screen And Failure To Connect To Service
- Official Android 5.0 Lollipop Update For HTC One Google Play Editions Delayed Due To New Software Request
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Guide: Continuous Breeding, Must See Places And TwitchPlays Pokemon Activity
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports