Sony Xperia Z Android 4.4.2 KitKat Problems and Solutions: Battery Drain, Slow Performance, Overheating, Sound Bug and SD Card
By Ryan Inoyori | July 22, 2014 3:43 PM EST
Android 4.4.2 KitKat update for Sony Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR and Xperia Tablet Z has been reported to have several issues such as poor battery life, audio bug, overheating, slow performance and memory card restrictions. Know the workarounds and tips to resolve these issues.
Poor Battery Life
1. Google released the Google Play Services version 5.0. Update the version on the Sony Xperia Z by enabling auto-sync and auto-update of the Play Store.
2. Go to Settings > Google (accounts) > Ads > Tick the box for "Opt out of interest-based ads."
3. Disable the backup of data by going to Settings > Backup and reset > Uncheck the box for "Backup my data."
4. Wait for the upcoming Android 4.4.4 KitKat update. Xperia Z1, Xperia Z1 Compact and Xperia Z Ultra already received the new firmware.
Memory Card Restrictions
Android KitKat does not permit "transfer of apps to SD card" unlike with previous Android versions.
1. There are applications at the Play Store which exploits the app transfer from internal storage to SD card. However, it requires root access in order to defy the Android KitKat restrictions.
2. Sony Mobile included the "transfer app to SD card" on Xperia T2 Ultra based on the reports from XperiaBlog regarding its Android KitKat update. Wait for Android 4.4.4 KitKat which may contain such feature.
Some users have reported to XperiaBlog that a sound bug related to the external speaker has been found on Xperia Z1 smartphone. In case the Xperia Z has such problem, try the following workarounds:
1. Disable certain audio engines such as ClearPhase or the equaliser.
2. xLOUD audio engine enhances the loudness of the speaker. Make sure it is active.
3. Double check the volume levels of the speakers by pressing the volume rocker.
4. Check if the messaging app, ringtones and notification tones have alerts with them.
Overheating may occur if the device runs a high-graphical gaming application or running the camera under special modes for long periods.
1. Update the apps, services and the firmware of the smartphone.
2. Use special camera modes such as Timeshift Burst or Motion Shot when needed.
3. Remove the accessories such as cover and casing to let the heat escape.
4. Do not use the device from games and calls when being charged.
5. Remove apps which are consuming too much power and resources that can cause overheating.
Slow performance depends on various factors such as malware infection, low internal storage, too many apps running in the background and conflicting installed apps.
1. Remove recently installed apps before the sluggishness occurred.
2. Check for malware infection and cache files. You may use Clean Master app for easier management.
3. If the internal storage space is low, transfer the files rarely accessed to the microSD card or to a computer.
4. Conflicting apps such as having several camera apps may cause issues that can slowdown the device's performance.
5. Uninstall apps which are not being used anymore to free some memory.
6. Reduce widgets and home screen panes to minimum.
7. Perform a factory reset to refresh the entire system.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Motorola Droid Turbo v. Sony Xperia Z3: Camera Details, Battery Life And Durability
- ‘GTA V': 1.18 Update, Zombie DLC Release Date To Welcome Halloween
- 'Dragon Age Keep' Guide: How To Use And Set Up Background Story For 'Dragon Age Inquisition'
- Motorola Droid Turbo vs. Samsung Galaxy S5: Apps And Services, Camera Features, Battery Life And Durability
- Google Nexus 6 Sold-Out Inventory: Android 5.0, Motorola-Nexus Branding, Network Carriers, Competitive Price
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight