Speculations on Serena Williams’ Peculiar Behaviour at Wimbledon; Williams Shrugs Off Hearsays, Spotted With a Mystery Man in Croatia
By Rachelle Corpuz | July 22, 2014 3:33 PM EST
Serena Williams' peculiar behaviour at the 2014 Wimbledon Championships has remained the subject of many thoughts and speculations. It was evident that something was wrong with the top-ranked American female tennis athlete, but was it due to a viral illness or was there something else that affected her overall condition?
Serena Williams of the U.S. reacts during her women's singles quarter-final match against Zhang Shuai of China at the Rome Masters tennis tournament May 16, 2014.
Former American professional tennis player and ESPN's tennis broadcaster Pam Shriver said something during the beginning of the doubles match that led fans to believe she was indirectly accusing Williams of drug use. "It's almost like she has taken something that makes her dizzy, disoriented, and she cannot reach up and strike a ball," Shriver chanted. Even after the match, ESPN's Chris Evert was dogged to question if Serena had taken something, Business Insider reported. "Is it a virus? Is it something unintentional or intentional in her system that they may drug test for," said Evert.
Shriver and Evert have long since extended their apologies for making up statements about Serena's health condition during the tournament.
Wimbledon officials released an official statement declaring that the reason why Serena was forced to withdraw in the doubles match was due to a viral illness, but some weren't convinced. Bleacher Report's Merlisa Lawrence Corbett was one who didn't buy the justification. "Viral illness, that's such a non-sexy explanation, it had to be something else."
Some reports suggested that Serena's coach Patrick Mouratoglou, to whom she has romantically been linked in the past, could have played a role in her poor performance.
Despite the numerous hearsays surrounding her surprise exit at Wimbledon, Serena expressed her indifference by going on a trip to Croatia. The 32-year-old 17-time Grand Slam champion was spotted with a mystery man at a beach in Pula, Croatia, NY Daily News reported. As the news outlet put it, Serena looked "rested and vibrant" in a peach and red two-piece bikini.
According to her official Web site, Serena is expected to participate in the World Tennis Association (WTA) Bank of the West Classic event in Stanford, California.
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Grigor Dimitrov Turns To Novak Djokovic For Love Advice; Dimitrov and Sharapova At The 2014 China Open
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate