Kevin Love to Cleveland Cavaliers is a Must - Coach K
By James Patrick Quizon | July 22, 2014 2:54 PM EST
When legendary coach Mike Krzyzewski talks, everybody listens.
Except for the Cleveland Cavaliers, which will reportedly sign Andrew Wiggins to his rookie deal later this week—a move that will temporarily cease the Kevin Love to Cavs trade talk, at least for a month.
NBA: Los Angeles Lakers at Minnesota Timberwolves
Mike Krzyzewski or also popularly known as Coach K, who is the head coach of the Duke Blue Devils in the US NCAA and the US National Team, opined that trading for Love is a no-brainer and that the Cleveland franchise should make their move in acquiring him now.
“I think there’s absolutely not one second of hesitancy,” said Krzyzewski via the radio program The John Feinstein Show and CBS Sports. “I’d trade for Kevin Love. That’s not saying anything about any of the other (players involved in the deal). Love’s an All-Star.”
Coach K knows K-Love’s game and value to a squad coaching the star forward during the latter’s stint with the national team since 2010.
“I mean, I’ve coached him on two teams,” Krzyzewski said in the same program. “No pun intended, but I love Kevin Love. He’s young, too. He’s 25. He was 21 (when I coached him). We had six 21-year-olds on our 2010 Istanbul team, and Kevin was one of them. He’s grown. He’s terrific. I would make that trade right away.”
Under Krzyzewski, Love has won two gold medals in international competitions—at the 2010 FIBA World Championships in Turkey and the 2012 Olympic Games in London.
Love, who has made the NBA All-Star team thrice (2011, 2012 and 2014) and the All-NBA Second Team twice (2012 and 2014), averaged 26.1 points, 12.6 rebounds and 4.5 assists for the Timberwolves in the 2013-2014 NBA season.
The Love-to-Cavs talks is expected to stall with the impending signing of the top overall pick in the 2014 NBA Draft in Wiggins. NBA Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) rules state that a draft pick who is signed to his rookie contract cannot be traded by his team for at least 30 days.
There is no official word of the rookie signing in Cleveland so there is still a possibility that the Cavs and Timberwolves agree to a deal in this offseason. Or even the possibility that they agree on an exchange after a month’s time.
According to reports, the initial offer for Love involved Dion Waiters, Anthony Bennett and a future first rounder. The Cavs eventually caved in and offered Wiggins, Bennett and the future pick but was again denied by the Minnesota front office.
Coach K finished by saying that the Cavs cannot “waste any year of great player’s career” referring to the recently re-acquired LeBron James, who will turn 30 years old in December.
Trading for Love assures the Cavs of a core group, which also includes top point guard Kyrie Irving that will compete for an NBA championship for a number of years.
Coach K has shared his opinion already. Should the Cleveland Cavaliers listen to one of the greatest minds in basketball today and aggressively pursue Kevin Love? Or should they continue signing of rookie Andrew Wiggins and take it from there?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery