Sir Richard Branson’s Mum Eve Speaks Up: ‘Kate Winslet Did Not Save Me From Fire!’
By Anne Lu | July 22, 2014 2:28 PM EST
Kate Winslet didn’t save Sir Richard Branson’s mum from a Carribean fire in 2011, Eve Branson revealed. The 90-year-old matriarch said that it was actually her grandsons who helped her survive the blaze, and that the Academy Award winner only carried her down for four steps.
Entrepreneur Richard Branson and his daughter Holly sit on Centre Court at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London June 30, 2014. REUTERS/Toby Melville
In August 2011, a lightning struck and caused fire at the Virgin Group founder’s luxury Necker Island, which forced the Branson family to flee the house.
Reports back then claimed that Winslet, who was also at the Caribbean island with her children, rescued Eve herself by carrying her from the burning building.
But almost three years after the dramatic incident, Eve has spoken up, revealing that her grandsons were her real saviours that night.
“Oh no! I’m sick of this story,” she told The Guardian. “It was the hurricane of hurricanes and we were on fire and we would have all been burnt alive if it wasn’t for my grandsons. It was four or five in the morning and they went around getting everyone out of bed.”
Eve didn’t have time to put on her contact lenses that night so she wasn’t able to see clearly. She was making her way outside when Kate, who was behind her with her two children, “just sort of picked me up and took me down four steps and that was it.
“I’m sorry, I can’t make a story out of it.”
When asked if Winslet didn’t really save her, she just answered, “I suppose I might have been a bit slow for her.”
To be fair to the 38-year-old actress, Winslet refuted reports that she had rescued Eve herself.
“No, I didn’t save her life. I carried her down the stairs, that’s the truth of it,” Winslet told the titular host of “The Graham Norton” show.
“It was generally very scary, it really was. We did wake up at 4:30 in the morning to hear the sounds of Richard’s nephews’ voices yelling that there was a fire. I jumped up and ram immediately towards the fire because clearly I thought I could put it out.
“But hten I realise that we might die so I turned around and Mia and Joe, my children, were standing at their bedroom door, and I said to them, ‘it’s a fire, it’s a fire, go back inside.’
“I ran into the bedroom and put on a bra. In disastrous moments like that, you do the strangest things. I started to put on a bra and thought, ‘No, that’s going to take me too long,’ so off came the bra and on came the t-shirt, I grabbed the children and picked up Granny.”
She continued, “So, no, in truth, I just carried Eve Branson bra-less, me and not her.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS