Sir Richard Branson’s Mum Eve Speaks Up: ‘Kate Winslet Did Not Save Me From Fire!’
By Anne Lu | July 22, 2014 2:28 PM EST
Kate Winslet didn’t save Sir Richard Branson’s mum from a Carribean fire in 2011, Eve Branson revealed. The 90-year-old matriarch said that it was actually her grandsons who helped her survive the blaze, and that the Academy Award winner only carried her down for four steps.
Entrepreneur Richard Branson and his daughter Holly sit on Centre Court at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London June 30, 2014. REUTERS/Toby Melville
In August 2011, a lightning struck and caused fire at the Virgin Group founder’s luxury Necker Island, which forced the Branson family to flee the house.
Reports back then claimed that Winslet, who was also at the Caribbean island with her children, rescued Eve herself by carrying her from the burning building.
But almost three years after the dramatic incident, Eve has spoken up, revealing that her grandsons were her real saviours that night.
“Oh no! I’m sick of this story,” she told The Guardian. “It was the hurricane of hurricanes and we were on fire and we would have all been burnt alive if it wasn’t for my grandsons. It was four or five in the morning and they went around getting everyone out of bed.”
Eve didn’t have time to put on her contact lenses that night so she wasn’t able to see clearly. She was making her way outside when Kate, who was behind her with her two children, “just sort of picked me up and took me down four steps and that was it.
“I’m sorry, I can’t make a story out of it.”
When asked if Winslet didn’t really save her, she just answered, “I suppose I might have been a bit slow for her.”
To be fair to the 38-year-old actress, Winslet refuted reports that she had rescued Eve herself.
“No, I didn’t save her life. I carried her down the stairs, that’s the truth of it,” Winslet told the titular host of “The Graham Norton” show.
“It was generally very scary, it really was. We did wake up at 4:30 in the morning to hear the sounds of Richard’s nephews’ voices yelling that there was a fire. I jumped up and ram immediately towards the fire because clearly I thought I could put it out.
“But hten I realise that we might die so I turned around and Mia and Joe, my children, were standing at their bedroom door, and I said to them, ‘it’s a fire, it’s a fire, go back inside.’
“I ran into the bedroom and put on a bra. In disastrous moments like that, you do the strangest things. I started to put on a bra and thought, ‘No, that’s going to take me too long,’ so off came the bra and on came the t-shirt, I grabbed the children and picked up Granny.”
She continued, “So, no, in truth, I just carried Eve Branson bra-less, me and not her.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- ‘America's Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Winner: Betting Odds And Judges Predict Who Could Win The Finals
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date