Sir Richard Branson’s Mum Eve Speaks Up: ‘Kate Winslet Did Not Save Me From Fire!’
By Anne Lu | July 22, 2014 2:28 PM EST
Kate Winslet didn’t save Sir Richard Branson’s mum from a Carribean fire in 2011, Eve Branson revealed. The 90-year-old matriarch said that it was actually her grandsons who helped her survive the blaze, and that the Academy Award winner only carried her down for four steps.
Entrepreneur Richard Branson and his daughter Holly sit on Centre Court at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London June 30, 2014. REUTERS/Toby Melville
In August 2011, a lightning struck and caused fire at the Virgin Group founder’s luxury Necker Island, which forced the Branson family to flee the house.
Reports back then claimed that Winslet, who was also at the Caribbean island with her children, rescued Eve herself by carrying her from the burning building.
But almost three years after the dramatic incident, Eve has spoken up, revealing that her grandsons were her real saviours that night.
“Oh no! I’m sick of this story,” she told The Guardian. “It was the hurricane of hurricanes and we were on fire and we would have all been burnt alive if it wasn’t for my grandsons. It was four or five in the morning and they went around getting everyone out of bed.”
Eve didn’t have time to put on her contact lenses that night so she wasn’t able to see clearly. She was making her way outside when Kate, who was behind her with her two children, “just sort of picked me up and took me down four steps and that was it.
“I’m sorry, I can’t make a story out of it.”
When asked if Winslet didn’t really save her, she just answered, “I suppose I might have been a bit slow for her.”
To be fair to the 38-year-old actress, Winslet refuted reports that she had rescued Eve herself.
“No, I didn’t save her life. I carried her down the stairs, that’s the truth of it,” Winslet told the titular host of “The Graham Norton” show.
“It was generally very scary, it really was. We did wake up at 4:30 in the morning to hear the sounds of Richard’s nephews’ voices yelling that there was a fire. I jumped up and ram immediately towards the fire because clearly I thought I could put it out.
“But hten I realise that we might die so I turned around and Mia and Joe, my children, were standing at their bedroom door, and I said to them, ‘it’s a fire, it’s a fire, go back inside.’
“I ran into the bedroom and put on a bra. In disastrous moments like that, you do the strangest things. I started to put on a bra and thought, ‘No, that’s going to take me too long,’ so off came the bra and on came the t-shirt, I grabbed the children and picked up Granny.”
She continued, “So, no, in truth, I just carried Eve Branson bra-less, me and not her.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Grimes’ Group To Capture Cops In Episode 7 – ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Major Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Thoughtful in ‘Crossed’
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan