Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update for Moto X Reported With Poor Battery Life; Six Ways to Resolve the Issue
By Ryan Inoyori | July 22, 2014 1:51 PM EST
Official Android 4.4.4 KitKat firmware for Moto X smartphone has been reported to have poor battery life according to users who complained at Motorola Forums. Moto G, Moto E, Droid Ultra, Droid Maxx and Droid Mini also received the same update. Will they have the same battery performance?
Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Poor Battery Life
Some users of Moto X who updated their smartphones to Android 4.4.4 KitKat reported at Motorola Forums about the firmware's poor battery performance. One complaint included a report of very short lifespan of less than eight hours under less activity and mild video streaming.
According to others, there are specific factors which may affect the poor battery life of Moto X even if running Android 4.4.4 KitKat.
1. Cache data and files on apps may cause constant battery drain.
2. Poor signal strength can drain the battery by searching for a network constantly.
3. Frequency of the network carrier affects overall battery life.
4. Weak Wi-Fi connection may consume more power due to similar concept with signal strength on networks.
5. Overheating caused by any factor can drain the battery faster.
How to Resolve These Problems?
Users themselves who have experienced battery drain on the Moto X submitted their own workarounds to prevent huge power consumption.
1. Deleting cache data and files of apps can reduce power consumption. Go to Settings > Application > Select an app > Clear Data/Cache. It is recommended to do this after updating the smartphone to Android 4.4.4 KitKat.
2. For poor network reception, set the device into Airplane Mode or switch the network mode into 2G/3G. Contact the network provider for more support.
3. Network frequency related to 4G-LTE and 3G should be monitored. Network carriers use different frequencies on their LTE service and HSDPA connectivity. Ask their technical support for more information.
4. For preventing Wi-Fi battery drain, go to the advanced settings menu on Wi-Fi Settings and check the "do not connect" option for poor Wi-Fi reception.
5. Overheating caused by games, Web browsing, streaming, low signal and others can drain more battery. Make sure that the device is well-ventilated and not under direct sunlight.
6. Additionally, users can stop the auto-sync functions on Google Play Store and Google accounts to extend battery life further.
Android L is expected to help boost the battery life of Moto X and other current Motorola devices as the new firmware features Project Volta and a default battery management tool.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- More ‘FIFA 15’ Issues Found in Companion App And Luis Suarez Ban; A PS4 Physical Disc Bundle Spotted
- Get Invite Codes to Ello the Social Networking Site That Is Viral On the Internet
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby And Alpha Sapphire’ Demo Distribution Method For Australia Revealed, More Info Coming
- ‘Assassin’s Creed Unity’ And ‘Rogue’: New Trailer Shows Off Customisation As Rogue PC Version Gets Spotted In UPlay
- 'Super Smash Bros' For Nintendo 3DS XL Can Hamper Gaming Experience Due To More Resistant Circle Pad
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate