Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
By jaskiran kaur | July 22, 2014 1:35 PM EST
Prince George turns one on Tuesday. Kate Middleton and Prince William were blessed with their first child on July 22, 2013. The royal baby soon became one of the most popular babies of the world. He is third in line to succeed the throne of England after his grandfather Prince Charles and father Prince Williams. For those who are eager to know more about him, here are 5 interesting facts about Prince George.
Britain's Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, carries her son Prince George as he examines a butterfly on the hand of his father Prince William during a visit to the Sensational Butterflies exhibition at the Natural History Museum in London, July 2, 2014. Prince George celebrates his first birthday on July 22. Picture taken July 2, 2014.
1. Kate Middleton gave birth to Prince George in St Mary's Hospital, London on July 22, 2013. It is the same hospital where Princess Diana gave birth to both her sons, Prince William and Prince Harry in 1982 and 1984, respectively.
2. Royal baby's birth was marked by ringing the bells of Westminster Abbey and other churches. Gun salutes and illumination of some significant landmarks with blue colour indicated the birth of boy in the royal family of England.
3. Prince George's official name is George Alexander Louis and when he takes the throne, he will be King George VII to rule the country. His first name comes from Queen's father King George the sixth. Prince George's middle name Alexander is thought to be a tribute to his great grandmother. Queen's full name is Elizabeth Alexandra Mary. As for his last name Louis, Prince George was given this name after his father whose official name is William Arthur Philip Louis.
4. Prince George was baptised on Oct. 23, 2013. Kate Middleton and Prince William decided their first child to have seven godparents. The list includes cousins and friends. They are Zara Tindall (Prince William's Cousin), Emilia Jardine-Paterson (Duchess' friend), Van Cutsem (Prince William's Childhood friend), Jamie Lowther-Pinkerton (Private Secretary to the couple), Julia Samuel (Close Friend of Prince William's mother, Princess Diana), Earl Grosvenor (Son of the Duke of Westminster) and Oliver Baker (Kate Middleton and Prince William's friend from St. Andrews University).
5. Prince George has already accomplished few milestones. Kate Middleton and Prince William's son is walking unassisted ahead of his first birthday. Duke and Duchess shared an official photo of Prince George that shows the toddler walking on his own in light blue dungaree and navy t-shirt designed by Petit Bateau. Moreover, much before celebrating his first birthday, Prince George has undertaken an international royal tour. The little one accompanied his parents to New Zealand and Australia in April, 2014 when he was just nine months old.
To contact the editor, e-mail: