MLB Trade Deadline: Cliff Lee, David Price To NY Yankees Gaining Steam
By Lou Imperial | July 22, 2014 1:23 PM EST
The New York Yankees are already making the initial moves in their attempt to get All-Star caliber arm such as Tampa Bay Ray Devils hurler David Price and Philadelphia Phillies pitcher Cliff Lee, according to a league source on Monday.
Anthony Gruppuso-USA TODAY Spo
Jun 22, 2014; Bronx, NY, USA; New York Yankees center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury (22) doubles to deep right during the fourth inning against the Baltimore Orioles at Yankee Stadium.
Trying to form a competitive starting rotation in hope of having a late surge in the regular-season, the Yankees are once again linked to several trade rumors, including the reported revival of their interest for Price and Lee - the two most coveted pitchers available on the trading front.
CSN Philadelphia MLB insider Jim Salisbury indicated in his recent report about Lee drawing interest from the Blue Jays and the Yankees. He added in his story an insight about an upcoming trade that would finally help the Bronx Bomber get the former CY Young Winner after several failed attempts to woo him to the Big Apple (notably the futile trade and free-agency bid in 2010).
The 35-year old Lee is expected to start for the Phillies against the San Francisco Giants on Monday night in Philly - his first since he was put on DL in May.
Many baseball followers predicted it would be Lee's final appearance for the last-placed Phillies, as the team looks to trade away their remaining assets for youngsters who can be developed into key cogs in their future campaigns. Apparently, the Yankees are very much on top of his possible destination after All-Star break.
What's the Price for David?
Aside from Lee, the Yankees are also making an aggressive push towards acquiring Price, who is putting up another CY Young Award worthy year despite dealing with tons of trade speculations.
The 28-year old Price has already racked up 10 wins against seven losses with an ERA of 3.06 and 173 strikeouts, making him among the elite pitches not only in the American League but in the entire baseball.
Price has been downplaying all kinds of trade speculations hurled into him these past two seasons, but when pressed on the possibility of playing for the Yankees before the season ends, the hurler was surprisingly open to that scenario.
"It is a reality, a possibility," Price told The New York Post two weeks ago. "I'd have no problem fitting in, I never have. It could happen."
The Yankees' need to pump up their starting pitching rotation stemmed from a rash of injuries they suffered through the first half of the season. Ace pitcher Masahiro Tanaka, Ivan Nova, CC Sabathia and Michael Pineda are all sidelined with injuries - a problem that has prevented the Yanks from taking over a competitive AL East division.
For more MLB trade news, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Grigor Dimitrov Turns To Novak Djokovic For Love Advice; Dimitrov and Sharapova At The 2014 China Open
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate