Michael Schumacher To Undergo Brain Implant To Make Him Talk and Walk Soon --- Report
By Tanya Diente | July 22, 2014 1:13 PM EST
Injured Formula One race car driver Michael Schumacher might be able to walk and talk soon as reports claimed he is to be a recipient of a microchip brain implant that will speed up his recovery.
Sauber Formula One driver Adrian Sutil of Germany leaves the track after having technical problems with his car during the German F1 Grand Prix at the Hockenheim racing circuit, July 20, 2014. July 20, 2014. Nico Rosberg won his home German Grand Prix for Mercedes on Sunday and his team mate Lewis Hamilton finished third after starting in 20th place. Finland's Valtteri Bottas took second place for Williams.
Croatian neurosurgeons were reportedly approached by Michael's family about the possibility of a microchip brain implant. According to Daily Mail, the implant is said to help the driver recover faster after waking up from coma last month. Currently paralysed and barely able to talk, the technique may be able to help Michael get back on his feet again and verbally communicate.
The revolutionised implanting technique is developed by Croatian doctors from the Zagreb capital, Doctors Darko Chudy and Vedran Deletis. They were reportedly approached after news on the success of the implant reached specialist publications.
"We've had a case with Croat schoolboy and he started to walk after two months," Doctor Darko Chudy was quoted to have confirmed the success during a brief interview.
According to Austriantimes, the microchip implant reportedly works by inducing a deep stimulation into the brain. The technique had reportedly cured four patients who suffered the same condition as the driver.
Doctor Darko Chudy reportedly confirmed Michael Schumacher's family had approached them however refused to divulge further details on the matter. Although he believes their technique will greatly help tthe driver.
Meanwhile, Michael is reportedly showing progress while recuperating in a Lausanne rehab clinic. A Swiss publication has reportedly claimed the former F1 driver could be released from the clinic before the summer ends.
Schumacher was transferred to the Lausanne rehab from a hospital in Grenoble, France, to be close to his family home in Switzerland.
Swiss newspaper SonntagsBlick reported Michael is showing signs that he will be able to leave the clinic soon so he could continue his health care at his home.
Michael Schumacher's wife, Corrina, and his family have reportedly spent a lot of money in renovating parts of their mansion in Gland into health care units. These units would serve as his medical centre since it's complete with high tech healthcare machines. Caregivers were also given extra rooms.
SonntagsBlick reported the family even constructed a new building outside the grounds of the mansion. The building is said to be bare of any outside steps, hinting that it would be where Michael Schumacher, wheel-chair bound, would live while being home treated.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around