AFL Player in Coma After Being Knocked It and Slipping Into A Cardiac Arrest
By Afza Fathima | July 22, 2014 1:04 PM EST
Tarryn Bowers, Lockyer Valley Demons player was knocked out and slipped into a cardiac arrest on July 20, during a game in the Darling Downs town of Pittsworth. He is currently being treated at the Princess Alexandra Hospital where he is in a stare of induced coma.
The quick thinking of his reginal AFL team mates saved the life of the 19-year-old. The work of coaches and trainers from Demons, Goondiwindi Hawks and South Toowoomba Bombers who helped Tarryn and assisted and flew him to Brisbane, was appreciated.
The Demons President, Tony Bowers, who is also Tarryn's father, said that his son was stuck between two opposition players from the team regional team Goondiwindi Hawks. He continues that a player from the opposition attacked him from behind and forearmed him on the back of his head and to the side of the temple because of which he might have been knocked out. Tony Bowers was playing the match as well.
It is believed that Tarryn was out cold before hitting the ground, after which, he began to spasm. He was then immediately taken off the pitch and CPR was performed.
The doctors, after initial prognosis, has said that the progress is positive and it was likely that they'd wake him up from his coma on July 21. Due to his young age, the doctors suspect if he is suffering from any underlying medical condition that could have been the reason for his heart to have stopped beating.
The doctors have said that they can't be sure of anything until they wake him up and take a look at him. It is also said there is no swelling or bleeding inside the brain neither is there any neck injuries. The umpires have decided not to consider it a reportable incident.
Tony Bowers said, "He was basically dead on the table. He was blue and he wasn't moving. It was terrible. It was just lucky there were three blokes working on him from different clubs and they all had first aid experience. They basically saved his life."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- HIV Cure: Modified Gene Therapy Causing Resistance And Mysterious Enzyme Could Unlock Effective Treatment
- Using Hand Dryers in Public Restrooms Could Spread Germs
- Text Neck Causes More Harm Than You Think
- Kourtney Kardashian Thinks Pregnancy Nausea Should Not Be Called 'Morning Sickness' Because It Lasts All Day
- Beating Postnatal Depression Is Just A Phone Call Away
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners