Commonwealth Games 2014 in Glasgow, Scotland Begins Wednesday, Anna Mearas to Carry Australian Flag in Opening Ceremony
By James Patrick Quizon | July 22, 2014 1:03 PM EST
Australia’s Olympic and Commonwealth champion cyclist Anna Meares will lead her country in the 20th Commonwealth Games as Australia’s flag-bearer in the opening ceremony held at the Celtic Park in Glasgow, Scotland
A police officer provides security in preparation for the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland, July 21, 2014.
Others considered to carry the flag were Sally Pearson and Michael Diamond but the two-time Olympic champion and four-time Commonwealth gold medalist won the honor of carrying the Australian flag.
"I think it tells me I've done a really good job in my career so far. I'm a good team-mate and I'm a good leader and sometimes it's not all about being successful, it's about bouncing back from defeats and failures and challenges.” Meares told abc.net.au.
Meares won the silver in the sprint category at the 2008 Beijing Olympics despite fracturing her neck in a previous crash. The 30-year-old Australian is the current world record holder in the 500-meter track trial and will be appearing in her fourth Commonwealth Games stint— tied for the most appearances with Kathy Watt for any female athlete in the history of the games.
Meares will also be gunning for Watt’s seven-medal haul in the Commonwealth Games. Currently, the cyclist has 4 gold, 1 silver and 1 bronze medals for a total of six medals. She can tie or break that Australian record set by Watt by the end of the 2014 games as she’s entered in the cycling events women’s sprint and women’s 500m track trial.
Cycling track is just one of the 17 sports events in the Glasgow program. Other disciplines include athletics, badminton, boxing, cycling mountain bike, cycling road, diving, gymnastics artistic, gymnastics rhythmic, hockey, judo, lawn bowls, netball, powerlifting, rugby sevens, shooting, squash, swimming, table tennis, triathlon, weightlifting and wrestling.
The opening ceremony is expected to draw 40,000 spectators inside the Celtic Park and will feature performances from Rod Stewart, Susan Boyle and Amy McDonald.
4,500 athletes from 71 different Commonwealth nations and territories will participate in the 20th Commonwealth Games set from July 23 to August 3, 2014.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Out There To Save His Two Favourite Ladies In Mid-season Finale
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change