Commonwealth Games 2014 in Glasgow, Scotland Begins Wednesday, Anna Mearas to Carry Australian Flag in Opening Ceremony
By James Patrick Quizon | July 22, 2014 1:03 PM EST
Australia’s Olympic and Commonwealth champion cyclist Anna Meares will lead her country in the 20th Commonwealth Games as Australia’s flag-bearer in the opening ceremony held at the Celtic Park in Glasgow, Scotland
A police officer provides security in preparation for the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland, July 21, 2014.
Others considered to carry the flag were Sally Pearson and Michael Diamond but the two-time Olympic champion and four-time Commonwealth gold medalist won the honor of carrying the Australian flag.
"I think it tells me I've done a really good job in my career so far. I'm a good team-mate and I'm a good leader and sometimes it's not all about being successful, it's about bouncing back from defeats and failures and challenges.” Meares told abc.net.au.
Meares won the silver in the sprint category at the 2008 Beijing Olympics despite fracturing her neck in a previous crash. The 30-year-old Australian is the current world record holder in the 500-meter track trial and will be appearing in her fourth Commonwealth Games stint— tied for the most appearances with Kathy Watt for any female athlete in the history of the games.
Meares will also be gunning for Watt’s seven-medal haul in the Commonwealth Games. Currently, the cyclist has 4 gold, 1 silver and 1 bronze medals for a total of six medals. She can tie or break that Australian record set by Watt by the end of the 2014 games as she’s entered in the cycling events women’s sprint and women’s 500m track trial.
Cycling track is just one of the 17 sports events in the Glasgow program. Other disciplines include athletics, badminton, boxing, cycling mountain bike, cycling road, diving, gymnastics artistic, gymnastics rhythmic, hockey, judo, lawn bowls, netball, powerlifting, rugby sevens, shooting, squash, swimming, table tennis, triathlon, weightlifting and wrestling.
The opening ceremony is expected to draw 40,000 spectators inside the Celtic Park and will feature performances from Rod Stewart, Susan Boyle and Amy McDonald.
4,500 athletes from 71 different Commonwealth nations and territories will participate in the 20th Commonwealth Games set from July 23 to August 3, 2014.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS