Commonwealth Games 2014 in Glasgow, Scotland Begins Wednesday, Anna Mearas to Carry Australian Flag in Opening Ceremony
By James Patrick Quizon | July 22, 2014 1:03 PM EST
Australia’s Olympic and Commonwealth champion cyclist Anna Meares will lead her country in the 20th Commonwealth Games as Australia’s flag-bearer in the opening ceremony held at the Celtic Park in Glasgow, Scotland
A police officer provides security in preparation for the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland, July 21, 2014.
Others considered to carry the flag were Sally Pearson and Michael Diamond but the two-time Olympic champion and four-time Commonwealth gold medalist won the honor of carrying the Australian flag.
"I think it tells me I've done a really good job in my career so far. I'm a good team-mate and I'm a good leader and sometimes it's not all about being successful, it's about bouncing back from defeats and failures and challenges.” Meares told abc.net.au.
Meares won the silver in the sprint category at the 2008 Beijing Olympics despite fracturing her neck in a previous crash. The 30-year-old Australian is the current world record holder in the 500-meter track trial and will be appearing in her fourth Commonwealth Games stint— tied for the most appearances with Kathy Watt for any female athlete in the history of the games.
Meares will also be gunning for Watt’s seven-medal haul in the Commonwealth Games. Currently, the cyclist has 4 gold, 1 silver and 1 bronze medals for a total of six medals. She can tie or break that Australian record set by Watt by the end of the 2014 games as she’s entered in the cycling events women’s sprint and women’s 500m track trial.
Cycling track is just one of the 17 sports events in the Glasgow program. Other disciplines include athletics, badminton, boxing, cycling mountain bike, cycling road, diving, gymnastics artistic, gymnastics rhythmic, hockey, judo, lawn bowls, netball, powerlifting, rugby sevens, shooting, squash, swimming, table tennis, triathlon, weightlifting and wrestling.
The opening ceremony is expected to draw 40,000 spectators inside the Celtic Park and will feature performances from Rod Stewart, Susan Boyle and Amy McDonald.
4,500 athletes from 71 different Commonwealth nations and territories will participate in the 20th Commonwealth Games set from July 23 to August 3, 2014.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- NFL Week 2: Kansas City Chiefs Vs. Denver Broncos Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date