Married Man in China Goes to Doctor for Stomach Pains, Finds Out He Is Actually a Woman
By Anne Lu | July 22, 2014 1:02 PM EST
A man who has been married to his wife for 10 years has found out that he is a woman. The man surnamed Chen wasn’t expecting his change of gender when he visited a hospital in Yongkang, Zheijang Province in China to complain about stomach pains.
As reported by the Global Times, the 44-year-old man visited the First People’s Hospital of Yongkang to complain about stomach pains and blood in his urine. It turned out he wasn’t sick but was just menstruating.
“He had short hair and was dressed in man’s clothes. We did not realise he was a female at first,” a doctor surnamed Zhao told the Web site.
Chen had no Adam’s apple or facial hair, but had a deformed penis, the doctors have observed.
His CT scan results, however, showed that he has a uterus and ovaries, making him a woman.
The doctors have removed the benign adrenal tumour that had caused him abdominal discomfort, though his chromosome test revealed that he is actually a female, and that the blood he was complaining about was just from menstruation.
According to Chen, he has been married to his wife for 10 years. He has had no trouble performing sexually.
His condition was the result of adrenogenital syndrome, a disorder affecting the normal development of genitals and other gender characteristics.
Chen isn’t the only man who has been diagnosed as female after going to the doctor for other medical complaints.
In 2013, another man from China also found out that he’s a woman after consulting a doctor for abdominal pain.
The South China Morning Post reported that a 66-year-old man was discovered to be suffering from Turner syndrome, which causes sufferers to lack female features, including the ability to get pregnant. In the man’s case, he also had congenital adrenal hyperplasia (CAH), boosting his male hormones, and therefore had made him look like a man.
The medical case was reported from the Kwong Wah Hospital and Queen Elizabeth Hospital by the doctors who treated the patient. It was then published in the Hong Kong Medical Journal.
“The patient, by definition, is a woman who cannot get pregnant. But she also has CAH, which gave her the appearance of a man,” Ellis Hon Kam-lun, Chinese University paediatrics professor, said.
“It’s an interesting and very rare case of having the two combinations. It probably won’t be seen again in the near future.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Spreads Through Red Cross Vaccine - Ghana Nurse ‘Testifies’; The Truth About Red Cross
- Ebola Outbreak To Continue Until Effective Vaccine Surfaces; 120,000 Women To Die of Childbirth
- Ebola Does Not Infect But Scares Southwestern College To Evacuate Students
- Glaucoma Is The Culprit Behind Bono's Fixation For Sunglasses; Watch The Spoiler For Graham Norton Show Where Rock Star Reveals The Same
- Ebola Outbreak Blamed on Infected Bushmeat; First Family to Catch Virus Hunted Bats
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks
- U.S. Missile Shield In Europe Opens In Romania: Russia's Reservations Ignored