Miss Idaho Sierra Sandison Garbs Insulin Pump During Bikini Pageant, Gives Birth to #showmeyourpump Hashtag on Twitter
By Ma Evelyn Castino Quilas | July 22, 2014 12:40 PM EST
Miss Idaho Sierra Sandison gives birth to #showmeyourpump hashtag on the social media Twitter after she posted a picture of herself proudly wearing the insulin pump during a bikini pageant.
According to an article from E! Online, the newly crowned beauty queen revealed that she took inspiration from Miss America 1999 Nicole Johnson. The director shared the story the former beauty queen's story to her learning that she was diabetic. Miss Idaho who was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes since 2012 was giving herself an insulin shot when the director asked her about her community service platform.
During the competition, the 20-year old beauty attached the insulin pump to the bottom of her two piece bikini during the controversial bikini portion.
"I knew the judges knew what it was, so I was hoping it wouldn't affect my score in any negative way," Sandison stated. But she was later told that the audience thought she brought a cellphone on stage.
The Independent mentioned that the beauty queen inspired diabetic patients from various countries such as Australia, America, Venezuela, Turkey, UK and other places who have joined the campaign. Pictures of patients showing their stomachs, arms, heads and other body parts with attached insulin pumps flooded the social media with accompanying heartwarming messages.
One user @kookyK8 shared that she had underwent 25 tough years going insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus (IDDM) and that she had 1 year of pump therapy and the best hemoglobin A1c test (HbA1c) ever. Another user @AustinBasis tweeted that he had type 1 diabetes for 29 years and that he had been wearing insulin pump for 15 years. Still another user @OceanTragic posted: "@sierra_anne93 you're a great role model for my 13yo daughter who shows her pump with pride."
In her Miss Idaho blog, the reigning beauty queen looks forward to utilise her influence as Miss Idaho to promote diabetes education to the public.
"Now, with the title of Miss Idaho, I have had a million new opportunities to spread the word about diabetes and overcoming obstacles!" she wrote.
Sierra Sandison stated that she was overwhelmed upon knowing that she had touched so many lives by simply wearing her pump on the stage.
"It means so much to me, and I hope I can touch many more during my year as Miss Idaho," the beauty queen posted.
Read the tweets below:
— Sierra Anne Sandison (@sierra_anne93) July 16, 2014
#showmeyourpump @DiabetesUK 25 years tough going IDDM, 1 year pump therapy & best HbA1c ever!
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Using Hand Dryers in Public Restrooms Could Spread Germs
- HIV Cure: Modified Gene Therapy Causing Resistance And Mysterious Enzyme Could Unlock Effective Treatment
- Text Neck Causes More Harm Than You Think
- Kourtney Kardashian Thinks Pregnancy Nausea Should Not Be Called 'Morning Sickness' Because It Lasts All Day
- Beating Postnatal Depression Is Just A Phone Call Away
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Best Black Friday 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More