The Belief That We Use Only 10% of Our Brains Is a Myth
By Sarah Thomas | July 22, 2014 11:57 AM EST
We have learned since we were young that we use only 10 per cent of our brain, leaving so much of the brain's capacities unexplored. While the concept seemed fascinating, it also left people wondering about the reasons for the non utilisation of the remaining 90 per cent, simultaneously opening new possibilities within the minds of several about the things man could do if he used his brain's capacity completely. This belief triggered several creative ideas in film makers, resulting in remarkable sci-fi movies, and at the same time, it re emphasised the long-held belief among moviegoers.
A boy who was addicted to the internet, has his brain scanned for research purposes at Daxing Internet Addiction Treatment Center in Beijing February 22, 2014. As growing numbers of young people in China immerse themselves in the cyber world, spending hours playing games online, worried parents are increasingly turning to boot camps to crush addiction. Military-style boot camps, designed to wean young people off their addiction to the internet, number as many as 250 in China alone. Picture taken February 22, 2014. REUTERS/Kim Kyung-Hoon (CHINA - Tags: SOCIETY) ATTENTION EDITORS - PICTURE 21 OF 33 FOR PACKAGE 'CURING CHINA'S INTERNET ADDICTS' TO FIND ALL IMAGES SEARCH 'INTERNET BOOT CAMP'
A survey conducted in 2013 by Michael J Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research further confirmed that the "10 percent" myth is still widely held. The poll revealed that 65 per cent of Americans are certain that human beings used only 10 per cent of our brains - 5 per cent more than belief in evolution.
However, Barbara Sahakian, a professor of clinical neuropsychology at the University of Cambridge, mocked at the idea of man using only a fraction of his brain. She stated that "doesn't make any sense."
She explained that this wrong idea began circulating through Dale Carnegie's popular book How to Win Friends and Influence People in 1936. She also said that the 10 per cent figure that people held on to was artificial. Carnegie just used the figure to support a point he had made in the book.
She sought another explanation to this widely spread false perception about the working of the brain, stating that according to neuroscientists, the brain contains 90 per cent support cells called glial cells that provide nutrients to the other 10 per cent which are neurons. Thoughts are produced by the neurons, the grey matter, and hence this belief could have emerged.
Sahakian further explained that smart drugs can help improve people's cognitive ability. They can help enhance a person's alertness, attention, memory and other cognitive abilities. "In the future, we will have drugs that can produce even greater enhancements with no, or low, side effects. It is highly likely that at that time, smart drugs will be in common use," she said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kendall Jenner's Secret To A Slim and Sexy Body: All About Her Diet And Fitness Routine [Watch Video]
- Bill Gates Believes Ebola Could Spread Outside West Africa, Warns Countries Should Strengthen Healthcare
- Sleep Deprivation Among Teens Is The Main Cause of Low Academic Performance, Bad Behaviour And Lethargy, Finds Study
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- 5 Myths About The Gluten-Free Diet Every Fad Fanatic Should Know
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate