Lorde Says Kanye West is Like Her School Principal
By Anne Lu | July 22, 2014 11:28 AM EST
Kanye West is like Lorde’s school principal. The 17-year-old Kiwi songstress revealed how much influence the American rapper has on her.
In an interview with the Guardian, the Grammy-winning artist said that she looks up to Kanye, and if she were enrolled in a school for pop music, Kanye would definitely hold a high position in the institution.
Lorde performs during the MuchMusic Video Awards (MMVA) in Toronto, June 15, 2014. REUTERS/Fred Thornhill
Kanye is “like my school principal, if the school is pop,” she said after she was reminded that Kim Kardashian’s husband approached her to tell her he’s her fan last year.
Although not as heavily panned on the social media as Kanye, Lorde also has her fair share of critics. She has been attacked by fans of her contemporaries, including Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez, for her expressing her unhindered opinions on them.
“At the beginning, because I’m really interested in pop and pop culture and how things work and why something’s successful, I was just wanting to have a discussion about pop while forgetting that I was actually in it,” she explained how her opinions have gotten her somewhat in trouble.
There’s one group of critics that Lorde holds in high regard, though.
“Having the world weighing in on you from all sorts of different perspectives is intense, but the criticism I listen to most is what comes from people the same age as me; they’re the only people I care about liking my music,” the “Tennis Court” singer said.
“One consistent thing is that if I like something and nobody likes it, I still like it. If I don’t like something and everyone loves it, I still hate it.”
On the topic of her love life, Lorde just gave a coy, “I’m a happy person.”
There’s no update on her relationship status, but Lorde has been dating photographer James Lowe even since before her “Royals” hit catapulted her to fame in 2013.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Photographed Fighting Before ‘Unbroken’ Sydney Premiere – Report [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]