Tree of 40 Fruit: A Tree That Produces 40 Fruits in New York
By Afza Fathima | July 22, 2014 10:59 AM EST
Sam Van Aken, art professor from Syracuse University, has grown a unique tree that produces forty varieties of stone fruit and looks like a beautiful artwork of pink, white, red and purple blossoms. The tree, called Tree of 40 Fruit, is a hybridised fruit tree which he grew from the combination of his knowledge of art and his childhood days in a family farm in Pennsylvania.
The sun sets behind a scorched tree from the Cocos Fire in San Marcos, California May 15, 2014.
In 2008, Van Aken bought an orchid in the New York State Agricultural Station which was about to close due to lack of money. The orchid had a huge number of heirloom, antique and native types of stone fruit, some of which were about 150 to 200 years old. After he bought the orchid, Van Aken took his time to understand how to graft different parts of trees into one fruit tree.
The tree produces a beautiful harvest of plums, peaches, apricots, nectarines and almonds.
Van Aken worked on a timeline which revolved around when each of the 250 varieties of stone fruit would blossom in relation to each other. He, then, worked on grafting a few of the stone fruits into the root structure of the tree. When the tree turned two years old, a technique called chip grafting was adopted by Van Aken, by which he added more varieties of the fruit as separate branches. Five years later, sixteen Tree of 40 Fruit has been grown and planted at museums, community centres and private art collections in Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey, Arkansas and California.
He aims to grow small orchards of the Tree of 40 around the city as well. Van Aken told Epicurous that the fruits ripen at different times of the year, ranging from July to October, hence always giving a different variety of the fruit.
He recently gave an interview for TEDx which can be read at Epicurious.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Enhanced Footage Of NASA's Tether Incident Proves Aliens Exist, Say UFO Believers And Experts [Watch Video]
- Fung-Wong More Like Ketsana Than Haiyan; Kills 1, Displaces 470,000 Filipinos & Paralyses Metro Manila
- Asteroid That Killed Dinosaurs Are Responsible For A Greener Earth
- It’s Haiyan All Over Again As Philippines Grapples With Heavy Rain, Floods
- Supermassive Black Hole In A Supercompact Galaxy Discovered
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Amazon Announces Kindle Fire HD 6, Kindle Fire HD 7 Tablets; Official Release Date Is Oct 2
- Scotland Voted Against Independence, Early Results Indicate