Tree of 40 Fruit: A Tree That Produces 40 Fruits in New York
By Afza Fathima | July 22, 2014 10:59 AM EST
Sam Van Aken, art professor from Syracuse University, has grown a unique tree that produces forty varieties of stone fruit and looks like a beautiful artwork of pink, white, red and purple blossoms. The tree, called Tree of 40 Fruit, is a hybridised fruit tree which he grew from the combination of his knowledge of art and his childhood days in a family farm in Pennsylvania.
The sun sets behind a scorched tree from the Cocos Fire in San Marcos, California May 15, 2014.
In 2008, Van Aken bought an orchid in the New York State Agricultural Station which was about to close due to lack of money. The orchid had a huge number of heirloom, antique and native types of stone fruit, some of which were about 150 to 200 years old. After he bought the orchid, Van Aken took his time to understand how to graft different parts of trees into one fruit tree.
The tree produces a beautiful harvest of plums, peaches, apricots, nectarines and almonds.
Van Aken worked on a timeline which revolved around when each of the 250 varieties of stone fruit would blossom in relation to each other. He, then, worked on grafting a few of the stone fruits into the root structure of the tree. When the tree turned two years old, a technique called chip grafting was adopted by Van Aken, by which he added more varieties of the fruit as separate branches. Five years later, sixteen Tree of 40 Fruit has been grown and planted at museums, community centres and private art collections in Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey, Arkansas and California.
He aims to grow small orchards of the Tree of 40 around the city as well. Van Aken told Epicurous that the fruits ripen at different times of the year, ranging from July to October, hence always giving a different variety of the fruit.
He recently gave an interview for TEDx which can be read at Epicurious.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Expecting A Baby Boy For The Second Time Around – Reports [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 4: San Francisco Giants 11, Kansas City Royals 4 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Yuka, A Woolly Mammoth, Is Just 39,000 Years Young, And Wears A Reddish Coat
- Army Of Moonwalkers May Soon Be Ready As Michael Jackson Reportedly Cloned Himself Before Death
- Social Media Conspiracy Fires Up Due To Ancient Engraving On Mars [Watch Video]
- Virgin Atlantic Space Tourism Rocket Crashes At Test Flight, 1 Dead
- Nanoplug Invisible Hearing Aid Comes With High-Tech Features And Nano-Battery That Recharges Instantaneously
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles