Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
By Lou Imperial | July 22, 2014 4:43 AM EST
Rafael Nadal's retirement may still be years away, but the top-rated Spaniard already found a new realm to conquer once he decided to throw away his racket for good.
Nadal, who already collected 14 Grand Slam championships and broke a handful of records, will likely try to become a professional poker player after his tennis career is over.
Rafael Nadal of Spain hits a return during his men's singles tennis match against Nick Kyrgios of Australia at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London July 1, 2014.
The Spaniard's bluffing skills was showcased in a video presented by PokerStars.net, in which he was seen enjoying a game of poker with other players in his home in Mallorca.
"My history with this game is simple. Those Sunday afternoons where it rains and not much to do, I played a little game with my friends or my family," said Nadal in an exclusive interview on the Poker site.
Nadal and poker seem inseparable as much he's with tennis right now. Still, many would think that the future Hall of Famer will have a pretty good career as pro poker player based on his recent exploits on the table.
Tweaking His Serve
The US Open Championship, the last Grand Slam in the tennis calendar, is just around the corner, as tennis stars gather once again to compete in the iconic Flushing Meadows starting this August.
Like he has been doing every year, Nadal is expected to modify his service mechanics to give him more power and precision needed for the hard-court joust.
Back in 2010, he drew some attention - especially from tennis experts - after he decided to tweak his services just days before the US Open championship.
Many pundits believed Nadal was putting himself in a tight spot with his untimely decision to change his service mechanics. However, two weeks later, he silenced all the critics by winning his first US Open crown and completing a career Grand Slam that year.
Of course, Nadal has already doubled his US Open tally with another masterful showing against Novak Djokovic last year, capping his epic return from seven-month absence due to a troublesome left knee.
Heading into a new challenge, Nadal posted a picture on his Twitter page, in which he was seen sporting a new serve for the hard-court season.
It has been an up-and-down season for the 14-time Grand Slam winner. Still, no one would dismiss that Nadal is going to be among the favorites to claim the US Open gem. And his chance has been enhanced once more with another servicing experiment.
For more Rafael Nadal and Tennis news, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet
- HTC Desire 820 (Octa-Core) vs. Sony Xperia Z3 Compact – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown