LeBron James Torn on Cleveland Cavaliers Jersey Number, Asks Fans on Instagram and Twitter
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 21, 2014 7:16 PM EST
After his Decision II, the next quandary is what number to wear, and this time he consulted the fans on the matter.
ESPN.com reports that LeBron James is torn on what number to use with his recent homecoming to the Cleveland Cavaliers after winning two championships coupled with four straight NBA Finals appearances with the Miami Heat. He is choosing between his high school and Cavaliers jersey number 23 or the number 6 he donned during his Heat days. He took to Instagram and Twitter his confusion:
Cleveland Cavaliers LeBron James stands on the court against the Boston Celtics during the fourth quarter in Game 6 of their NBA Eastern Conference playoff basketball series in Boston, Massachusetts in this file photo taken May 13, 2010. James is going home by signing with the NBA's Cleveland Cavaliers, he said in an article in Sports Illustrated on Friday. The signing reunites the Cavaliers with James, who four years ago left the team in a messy divorce to join a star-studded Miami Heat team he led to four consecutive trips to the NBA Finals and two championships.
6 or 23?...... http://t.co/8uft5F7XO8— LeBron James (@KingJames) July 18, 2014
James' wait out period on the number is considerably costing some opportunity loss to retailers who have to wait out on all orders that flooded their companies since the announcement of James' return to Ohio. Jersey for the King of the basketball world generates a lot of revenue as it was the highest selling jersey of any NBA player the last two seasons, even registering as the best-selling jersey in the 6 of the 11 seasons the two-time NBA champion has been in the league.
The number 23 is sentimental to LeBron as he wore it during his sophomore year at St. Vincent's Academy and his initial years in the NBA. He is also reportedly considering the No. 32 which he wore during his freshman year. He switched to No. 6 when he played for the Olympic Team and carried out the change with his transfer to the Miami Heat justifying the switch as a way to honor the greatness of Michael Jordan, encouraging other players to "officially" retire the jersey number as a homage to the great one.
James inked a two-year contract worth $42.1 million in his return to the Cavaliers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Calls Out On Floyd Mayweather Jr. Again After Unbeaten Boxer Mocks Him With His KO Video
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- 2014 NFL Thanksgiving Games Results: Detroit Lions, Philadelphia Eagles, Seattle Seahawks Notch All-Important Wins With Major Postseason Implications
- Derrick Rose Is Lying About His Health Says ESPN Analyst Stephen A. Smith
- Andy Murray, Ana Ivanovic, And Other Tennis Stars Arrive In Manila For The IPTL; Murray Meets Manny Pacquiao
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report
- Samsung Galaxy S6 Will Shatter Records with 64-Bit Snapdragon, 21MP Camera and Bendable Design
- Lowe's Black Friday 2014 Deals Include Up To 40% Off On Select Major Appliances, Plus Free Shipping For Orders Of $19 Or More
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones