LeBron James Torn on Cleveland Cavaliers Jersey Number, Asks Fans on Instagram and Twitter
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 21, 2014 7:16 PM EST
After his Decision II, the next quandary is what number to wear, and this time he consulted the fans on the matter.
ESPN.com reports that LeBron James is torn on what number to use with his recent homecoming to the Cleveland Cavaliers after winning two championships coupled with four straight NBA Finals appearances with the Miami Heat. He is choosing between his high school and Cavaliers jersey number 23 or the number 6 he donned during his Heat days. He took to Instagram and Twitter his confusion:
Cleveland Cavaliers LeBron James stands on the court against the Boston Celtics during the fourth quarter in Game 6 of their NBA Eastern Conference playoff basketball series in Boston, Massachusetts in this file photo taken May 13, 2010. James is going home by signing with the NBA's Cleveland Cavaliers, he said in an article in Sports Illustrated on Friday. The signing reunites the Cavaliers with James, who four years ago left the team in a messy divorce to join a star-studded Miami Heat team he led to four consecutive trips to the NBA Finals and two championships.
6 or 23?...... http://t.co/8uft5F7XO8— LeBron James (@KingJames) July 18, 2014
James' wait out period on the number is considerably costing some opportunity loss to retailers who have to wait out on all orders that flooded their companies since the announcement of James' return to Ohio. Jersey for the King of the basketball world generates a lot of revenue as it was the highest selling jersey of any NBA player the last two seasons, even registering as the best-selling jersey in the 6 of the 11 seasons the two-time NBA champion has been in the league.
The number 23 is sentimental to LeBron as he wore it during his sophomore year at St. Vincent's Academy and his initial years in the NBA. He is also reportedly considering the No. 32 which he wore during his freshman year. He switched to No. 6 when he played for the Olympic Team and carried out the change with his transfer to the Miami Heat justifying the switch as a way to honor the greatness of Michael Jordan, encouraging other players to "officially" retire the jersey number as a homage to the great one.
James inked a two-year contract worth $42.1 million in his return to the Cavaliers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage