2014 Meteor Shower: Where and How to Best View Delta Aquarids Meteor Shower Peak on July 28 and 29
By Jenalyn Villamarin | July 21, 2014 4:46 PM EST
The months of July and August will offer sky watchers the viewing experience for the 2014 Delta Aquarids meteor shower. The sky display started on July 12 and it can be viewed until Aug 23, 2014 with the peak scheduled to take place from July 28 to 29 and observers in the Southern Hemisphere will have the best views.
During the meteor shower peak in the Southern Hemisphere, 15 to 20 meteors per hour are estimated to be seen in the predawn hours of July 28 and 29. Sky watchers are suggested to look at the eastern sky direction with its radiant located to the left of the Fomalhaut star.
The Delta Aquarids meteor shower peak will be highlighted as well with the new Moon occurring on Saturday, July 26. According to the ITWire report, viewers in the northern tropics (southern latitudes) of the Northern Hemisphere can still have decent observations on the Delta Aquarids meteor shower.
The peak of the Delta Aquarids meteor shower in the Northern Hemisphere is scheduled to take place on Aug 13 and 14. For the Northern peak, 10 meteors per hour are expected to be visible when the observers look in the lower southern to the southeastern sky close to the Aquarius constellation.
"This year's peak occurs during a new moon, which means dark skies for optimal viewing. Begin looking for these faint meteors after midnight," NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration) stated in the Epoch Times report. The meteors may be difficult to spot but the visibility is anticipated to rise during its peak time.
To best view the meteor shower, observers from both the Southern and Northern Hemispheres must find a spot away from the bright city and street lights. "Lie flat on your back and look up, taking in as much of the sky as possible. However, looking halfway between the horizon and the zenith, and 45 degrees from the constellation of Aquarius will improve your chances of viewing the Delta Aquarids. In less than 30 minutes in the dark, your eyes will adapt and you will begin to see meteors," NASA suggested.
There will be two more meteor showers gracing the sky almost at the same time with the Delta Aquarids this July and then August. The Alpha Capricornids, also with the July 28 and 29 peak time, started its display on July 11 and it will run through Aug 10, 2014 with not much meteors visible but the shower producing bright fireballs in the sky.
The Perseids meteor shower display is scheduled as well to take place from July 13 to Aug 26 with the peak times on Aug 11 and 12. The Perseids meteor shower is one of the popular sky display due to the numerous meteors visible.
More Articles to Read:
Viral Video Dad Swelters in Hot Car: Terry Bartley Raise Parenting Awareness with Do Not Leave Your Kids in Car Video [WATCH] - [READ]
Viral Video Celebrity Impressions: Rob Cantor Shares YouTube Video that Reveals Voice-Over Artists Backing Him Up in Song Titled Perfect [WATCH] - [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Video Showing Mentally Disabled African American Shot 46 Times By Eight Police Officers For Just Holding A Penknife
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Forced To Return To Royal Engagements, Feuding With The Queen Over Royal Duties---Report
- Google Loses Lawsuit Against Canadian Woman Over Breast Exposure
- Robbery Attempt in Sydney Bank, Armed Robbers on The Loose
- Father Spots A Bald Patch On The Lawn Outside His Girls' Bedroom And Gets Shocked At The Reason
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists