2014 Meteor Shower: Where and How to Best View Delta Aquarids Meteor Shower Peak on July 28 and 29
By Jenalyn Villamarin | July 21, 2014 4:46 PM EST
The months of July and August will offer sky watchers the viewing experience for the 2014 Delta Aquarids meteor shower. The sky display started on July 12 and it can be viewed until Aug 23, 2014 with the peak scheduled to take place from July 28 to 29 and observers in the Southern Hemisphere will have the best views.
During the meteor shower peak in the Southern Hemisphere, 15 to 20 meteors per hour are estimated to be seen in the predawn hours of July 28 and 29. Sky watchers are suggested to look at the eastern sky direction with its radiant located to the left of the Fomalhaut star.
The Delta Aquarids meteor shower peak will be highlighted as well with the new Moon occurring on Saturday, July 26. According to the ITWire report, viewers in the northern tropics (southern latitudes) of the Northern Hemisphere can still have decent observations on the Delta Aquarids meteor shower.
The peak of the Delta Aquarids meteor shower in the Northern Hemisphere is scheduled to take place on Aug 13 and 14. For the Northern peak, 10 meteors per hour are expected to be visible when the observers look in the lower southern to the southeastern sky close to the Aquarius constellation.
"This year's peak occurs during a new moon, which means dark skies for optimal viewing. Begin looking for these faint meteors after midnight," NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration) stated in the Epoch Times report. The meteors may be difficult to spot but the visibility is anticipated to rise during its peak time.
To best view the meteor shower, observers from both the Southern and Northern Hemispheres must find a spot away from the bright city and street lights. "Lie flat on your back and look up, taking in as much of the sky as possible. However, looking halfway between the horizon and the zenith, and 45 degrees from the constellation of Aquarius will improve your chances of viewing the Delta Aquarids. In less than 30 minutes in the dark, your eyes will adapt and you will begin to see meteors," NASA suggested.
There will be two more meteor showers gracing the sky almost at the same time with the Delta Aquarids this July and then August. The Alpha Capricornids, also with the July 28 and 29 peak time, started its display on July 11 and it will run through Aug 10, 2014 with not much meteors visible but the shower producing bright fireballs in the sky.
The Perseids meteor shower display is scheduled as well to take place from July 13 to Aug 26 with the peak times on Aug 11 and 12. The Perseids meteor shower is one of the popular sky display due to the numerous meteors visible.
More Articles to Read:
Viral Video Dad Swelters in Hot Car: Terry Bartley Raise Parenting Awareness with Do Not Leave Your Kids in Car Video [WATCH] - [READ]
Viral Video Celebrity Impressions: Rob Cantor Shares YouTube Video that Reveals Voice-Over Artists Backing Him Up in Song Titled Perfect [WATCH] - [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28