Teenage Boys Desire Intimacy and Close Relationships: Study
By Sarah Thomas | July 21, 2014 4:17 PM EST
A new study conducted by the Columbia University's Mailman School of Public Health revealed that unlike the basic view of the teenage male's being aggressive, sex-oriented and not serious about their romantic relationships; they actually desire intimacy and sex in the context of a meaningful relationship. They value trust in their partnerships. The findings are published in the American Journal of Men's Health.
Boys carry their surf boards ashore after their lesson was cancelled following a mid-air explosion from a rocket which was intercepted by the Iron Dome defense system, in Tel Aviv July 9, 2014. Finbarr O’Reilly/Reuters.
The study throws light on the development of masculine values in adolescence, an area that has been understudied. For the study, the development, progress and end of the romantic and sexual relationships of 33 males between 14 and 16 years of age were studied. They were all recruited during routine medical visits at a community adolescent clinic that serves low-income, predominately African-American adolescents.
The group members were asked questions about their sexual life, and other questions such as desirable partner characteristics, intimacy, closeness, and trust. They became sexually active earlier than the national average; this placed them at an increased risk for sexually transmitted diseases
"Prevailing values in our culture suggest adolescent males want sex, not relationships. However, values and behaviour related to sex and relationships are likely more complex than typically portrayed," said first author David Bell, MD, MPH and medical director of New York-Presbyterian Hospital's Family Planning Clinic/Young Men's Clinic. He explained that, in fact, very few of the participants described sex as the main goal of opposite-sex interactions and relationships.
The study found that adolescent males preferred close relationships, more importantly caring relationships. They desired intimacy with their partners and were not shy to expressed vulnerability and dependence. To them, trust is an essential part of the relationship.
These findings differed greatly from the older male's definition of relationships. According to Bell, sexually experienced adolescent males believe that relationships should be focused around sex, treating females as sex objects. They did not want any intimacy psychology.
Bell said, "Our sample was primarily lower-income African-American adolescent males and the results, while not generalizable, are transferable to similar populations of adolescent males."
Investigators are now probing into the method by which the beliefs of teenage boys evolve and transform into more dominant contrasting adolescent masculine beliefs. These findings are essential in understanding young men's young men's sexual health needs and adolescents' developing masculinity into health promotion.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Peter Quillin Claims That Adriana Lima Will Beat Gisele In The Boxing Ring; Adriana's Weight Loss Through Boxing and A Paleo Diet
- Joan Rivers May Have Died From Propofol Like Michael Jackson
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy: Middleton's Morning Sickness Could Cause Risk Of Miscarriage[Watch Video]
- 'Keeping Up With The Kardashians' Star Kourtney Kardashian Blamed For Khloe's Weight Gain Through Social Media Messages
- Caution to Diabetics: Artificial Sweeteners May Increase Blood Sugar Levels Based on Study
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone