Sony Xperia Newly Certified 12.1.A.1.207 Remains Android 4.3 Jelly Bean; Android 4.4 KitKat Still Unknown
By Ryan Inoyori | July 21, 2014 4:11 PM EST
Sony Xperia SP has a new firmware certified by PTCRB having the build version 12.1.A.1.207. Unfortunately, the newly certified software is still running Android 4.3 Jelly Bean based on the numerical coding. Android 4.4.2 KitKat remains under investigation at Sony Mobile software pages.
Newly Certified Firmware for Xperia SP
Sony Xperia SP users worldwide may expect another firmware update coming soon after PTCRB posted a newly certified software version for the smartphone. It has the build version 12.1.A.1.207 and seems like an incremental upgrade to the latest 12.1.A.1.205 firmware build based on the numerical changes.
There are no details yet on what Sony Mobile features on this firmware, but since it is an incremental upgrade, expect bug fixes, app optimisations and other system enhancements.
Current Firmware Version
For those who haven't updated their Sony Xperia SP smartphone, Sony Mobile offers Android 4.3 Jelly Bean 12.1.A.1.205 at this time, according to its official software support page. It can be downloaded via OTA, Sony PC Companion for Windows PCs, Sony Bridge for MAC or Software Update Service.
Official change logs from Sony Mobile:
— Shorter charging time
— Enhanced performance and stability of Mobile BRAVIA Engine 2
— Improved screen visibility to cover more lighting conditions
— Quicker file management
— All the latest bug fixes and stability improvements.
Sony Xperia SP users can utilise various camera add-ons on the Smart Social Camera app such as Timeshift Burst, Motiongraphy, Motion Shot and more. Additionally, Info-Eye has been included to the Update Centre for Xperia SP models. In case the desired camera app is not found via Sony Select or Play Store, it can be installed by downloading the APK files from certain sources just like any other app.
Android 4.4.2 KitKat Still Missing
Sony Mobile remains quiet with the Android 4.4.2 KitKat update for Xperia SP. It is currently tagged as "under investigation" in the company's software support pages and there is no assurance that the device will receive another major firmware update.
Certain mid-range devices are now receiving Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware such as Xperia T2 Ultra and Xperia T2 Ultra Dual as mentioned on the official upgrade plans by Sony Mobile and at the device's software support pages.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'Dragon Age: Inquisition' Warrior, Rogue, Mage Gameplay And Combat Strategies
- ‘Assassin’s Creed Unity’ And ‘Rogue’ Updates: More Revealed For Co-Op, Collector’s Edition And Possible PC Debut
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Release Dates Set To Hit 3 Areas As Early As September
- ‘Minecraft’ PS4, Xbox One And PS Vita Updates From Devs, Microsoft CEO Talks About The Buyout
- ‘World Of Warcraft’ Extends The ‘Gaze Of The Black Prince’ Buff Until The ‘Warlords Of Draenor' Pre-Patch 6.0.2 Release After Updating The 6.0.2 Public Test Realm Patch Notes [WATCH VIDEO]
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best
- Australian Liberals Urge Expat Kiwis To Favour John Key In New Zealand Election