Sony Xperia Newly Certified 12.1.A.1.207 Remains Android 4.3 Jelly Bean; Android 4.4 KitKat Still Unknown
By Ryan Inoyori | July 21, 2014 4:11 PM EST
Sony Xperia SP has a new firmware certified by PTCRB having the build version 12.1.A.1.207. Unfortunately, the newly certified software is still running Android 4.3 Jelly Bean based on the numerical coding. Android 4.4.2 KitKat remains under investigation at Sony Mobile software pages.
Newly Certified Firmware for Xperia SP
Sony Xperia SP users worldwide may expect another firmware update coming soon after PTCRB posted a newly certified software version for the smartphone. It has the build version 12.1.A.1.207 and seems like an incremental upgrade to the latest 12.1.A.1.205 firmware build based on the numerical changes.
There are no details yet on what Sony Mobile features on this firmware, but since it is an incremental upgrade, expect bug fixes, app optimisations and other system enhancements.
Current Firmware Version
For those who haven't updated their Sony Xperia SP smartphone, Sony Mobile offers Android 4.3 Jelly Bean 12.1.A.1.205 at this time, according to its official software support page. It can be downloaded via OTA, Sony PC Companion for Windows PCs, Sony Bridge for MAC or Software Update Service.
Official change logs from Sony Mobile:
— Shorter charging time
— Enhanced performance and stability of Mobile BRAVIA Engine 2
— Improved screen visibility to cover more lighting conditions
— Quicker file management
— All the latest bug fixes and stability improvements.
Sony Xperia SP users can utilise various camera add-ons on the Smart Social Camera app such as Timeshift Burst, Motiongraphy, Motion Shot and more. Additionally, Info-Eye has been included to the Update Centre for Xperia SP models. In case the desired camera app is not found via Sony Select or Play Store, it can be installed by downloading the APK files from certain sources just like any other app.
Android 4.4.2 KitKat Still Missing
Sony Mobile remains quiet with the Android 4.4.2 KitKat update for Xperia SP. It is currently tagged as "under investigation" in the company's software support pages and there is no assurance that the device will receive another major firmware update.
Certain mid-range devices are now receiving Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware such as Xperia T2 Ultra and Xperia T2 Ultra Dual as mentioned on the official upgrade plans by Sony Mobile and at the device's software support pages.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge and Note 4 Designer Secrets: Behind The Materials, Edge Screen And S Pen
- 'World Of Warcraft' ‘The Iron Tide' 6.0.2 Patch Hotfixes Update Including New Resolved Issues Regarding Scenarios, Raids, Classes, Battlegrounds And Arenas
- Sony Xperia Z3 Launched In Japan Has 32 GB Storage Compared To 16 GB International Model
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation