Sony Xperia Newly Certified 12.1.A.1.207 Remains Android 4.3 Jelly Bean; Android 4.4 KitKat Still Unknown
By Ryan Inoyori | July 21, 2014 4:11 PM EST
Sony Xperia SP has a new firmware certified by PTCRB having the build version 12.1.A.1.207. Unfortunately, the newly certified software is still running Android 4.3 Jelly Bean based on the numerical coding. Android 4.4.2 KitKat remains under investigation at Sony Mobile software pages.
Newly Certified Firmware for Xperia SP
Sony Xperia SP users worldwide may expect another firmware update coming soon after PTCRB posted a newly certified software version for the smartphone. It has the build version 12.1.A.1.207 and seems like an incremental upgrade to the latest 12.1.A.1.205 firmware build based on the numerical changes.
There are no details yet on what Sony Mobile features on this firmware, but since it is an incremental upgrade, expect bug fixes, app optimisations and other system enhancements.
Current Firmware Version
For those who haven't updated their Sony Xperia SP smartphone, Sony Mobile offers Android 4.3 Jelly Bean 12.1.A.1.205 at this time, according to its official software support page. It can be downloaded via OTA, Sony PC Companion for Windows PCs, Sony Bridge for MAC or Software Update Service.
Official change logs from Sony Mobile:
— Shorter charging time
— Enhanced performance and stability of Mobile BRAVIA Engine 2
— Improved screen visibility to cover more lighting conditions
— Quicker file management
— All the latest bug fixes and stability improvements.
Sony Xperia SP users can utilise various camera add-ons on the Smart Social Camera app such as Timeshift Burst, Motiongraphy, Motion Shot and more. Additionally, Info-Eye has been included to the Update Centre for Xperia SP models. In case the desired camera app is not found via Sony Select or Play Store, it can be installed by downloading the APK files from certain sources just like any other app.
Android 4.4.2 KitKat Still Missing
Sony Mobile remains quiet with the Android 4.4.2 KitKat update for Xperia SP. It is currently tagged as "under investigation" in the company's software support pages and there is no assurance that the device will receive another major firmware update.
Certain mid-range devices are now receiving Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware such as Xperia T2 Ultra and Xperia T2 Ultra Dual as mentioned on the official upgrade plans by Sony Mobile and at the device's software support pages.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Sims 4' First Expansion Pack To Roll Out Tomorrow With Halloween Theme Via Teaser Images
- The Pirate Bay Contains Malicious Advertisements: Using TPB Can Infect Your Computer With Malware
- Windows Insider Program: How to Get Windows 10 the Next Generation Operating System
- ‘Destiny’ New DLC For PlayStation And Xbox: Future Missions, Strikes And Raids Revealed
- Xbox One News: Windows 10 Hinted For Xbox One; Deals With Gold And Xbox One Counterfeits Detailed
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Samsung Aware Of Gap Issue On Galaxy Note 4, Mentions It As Important Manufacturing Feature In Note 4 User Manual
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money