Sony Xperia Newly Certified 12.1.A.1.207 Remains Android 4.3 Jelly Bean; Android 4.4 KitKat Still Unknown
By Ryan Inoyori | July 21, 2014 4:11 PM EST
Sony Xperia SP has a new firmware certified by PTCRB having the build version 12.1.A.1.207. Unfortunately, the newly certified software is still running Android 4.3 Jelly Bean based on the numerical coding. Android 4.4.2 KitKat remains under investigation at Sony Mobile software pages.
Newly Certified Firmware for Xperia SP
Sony Xperia SP users worldwide may expect another firmware update coming soon after PTCRB posted a newly certified software version for the smartphone. It has the build version 12.1.A.1.207 and seems like an incremental upgrade to the latest 12.1.A.1.205 firmware build based on the numerical changes.
There are no details yet on what Sony Mobile features on this firmware, but since it is an incremental upgrade, expect bug fixes, app optimisations and other system enhancements.
Current Firmware Version
For those who haven't updated their Sony Xperia SP smartphone, Sony Mobile offers Android 4.3 Jelly Bean 12.1.A.1.205 at this time, according to its official software support page. It can be downloaded via OTA, Sony PC Companion for Windows PCs, Sony Bridge for MAC or Software Update Service.
Official change logs from Sony Mobile:
— Shorter charging time
— Enhanced performance and stability of Mobile BRAVIA Engine 2
— Improved screen visibility to cover more lighting conditions
— Quicker file management
— All the latest bug fixes and stability improvements.
Sony Xperia SP users can utilise various camera add-ons on the Smart Social Camera app such as Timeshift Burst, Motiongraphy, Motion Shot and more. Additionally, Info-Eye has been included to the Update Centre for Xperia SP models. In case the desired camera app is not found via Sony Select or Play Store, it can be installed by downloading the APK files from certain sources just like any other app.
Android 4.4.2 KitKat Still Missing
Sony Mobile remains quiet with the Android 4.4.2 KitKat update for Xperia SP. It is currently tagged as "under investigation" in the company's software support pages and there is no assurance that the device will receive another major firmware update.
Certain mid-range devices are now receiving Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware such as Xperia T2 Ultra and Xperia T2 Ultra Dual as mentioned on the official upgrade plans by Sony Mobile and at the device's software support pages.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'Dragon Age Keep' Guide: How To Use And Set Up Background Story For 'Dragon Age Inquisition'
- Google Nexus 6 Sold-Out Inventory: Android 5.0, Motorola-Nexus Branding, Network Carriers, Competitive Price
- ‘Destiny': Apocalypse-Themed Sparrows, Pumpkin Head Weapons As Contents For Halloween
- The Xperia Z3: A Review On Sony’s New Flagship
- Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Developer Edition Now Available At $699.99, Without Instalment Plan Options
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2